Astros’ Odorizzi: MRI shows some leg damage, no set return

Gregory Fisher-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

BOSTON — Astros pitcher Jake Odorizzi says an MRI on his left leg showed damage that will sideline him for an indefinite period, but added he felt fortunate an injury at Fenway Park this week wasn’t worse.

Odorizzi heard a pop in his ankle during Monday night’s start against Boston that caused him to collapse after throwing a pitch. The 32-year old right-hander feared a serious setback with his Achilles tendon.

Odorizzi was stretchered off the field in the fifth inning of the 6-3 loss after the injury and put on the 15-day injured list on Tuesday. Right-hander Seth Martinez was recalled from Triple-A Sugar Land to take his place on the active roster. Martinez pitched in relief Tuesday night during Houston’s 13-4 win, allowing one hit over three scoreless innings.

Odorizzi said an MRI revealed some damage to tendons and ligaments, but not the Achilles tendon. He said the current plan calls for pain management, rehab to improve range of motion and strengthening.

There is no set timeline for his return.

“I think the stretcher made it worse than it actually was,” Odorizzi told reporters prior to Wednesday’s series finale with the Red Sox. “It was just a quick, loud pop. I heard it and felt it, so I kind of thought it was the worst-case scenario.”

Avoiding what would have been a season-ending injury was as positive of an outcome as he could have hoped for, he said.

“We got imaging done yesterday and it came back – there’s no damage to my Achilles, so that’s really the main takeaway. There’s some other damage in there, but not on the Achilles itself,” Odorizzi said. “We avoided that, and I’d say it’s the best-case scenario at that point.”

Odorizzi is 3-2 with a 3.13 ERA and 21 strikeouts in seven starts this season.

Rays’ Díaz gets $24 million, three-year deal, avoids arbitration

Getty Images
1 Comment

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. – Tampa Bay Rays infielder Yandy Díaz agreed to a $24 million, three-year contract on Tuesday that avoided a salary arbitration hearing.

Díaz’s agreement could be worth $36 million over four seasons.

The 31-year old will receive $6 million this season, $8 million in 2024 and $10 million for 2025. The 2026 club is $12 million with no buyout. There is a $1 million assignment bonus that would be payable by receiving team.

Díaz has spent parts of six seasons in the majors with Cleveland (2017-18) and Tampa Bay (2019-22). He has a career average of .278 with 39 home runs and 198 RBIs.

Acquired by the Rays in a three-team trade on Dec. 13, 2018, Díaz hit .296 with nine homers and 57 RBIs in 137 games last season, He career highs with 71 runs, 140 hits, 33 doubles, and 78 walks.

Díaz was the third Rays’ arbitration-eligible player to reach a deal.

Reliever Pete Fairbanks agreed Friday to a $12 million, three-year contract that could be worth up to $24.6 million over four seasons. The 29-year-old right-hander was 0-0 with a 1.13 ERA in 24 appearances last year after beginning the season on the 60-day injured list with a right lat strain.

Left-hander Jeffrey Springs also agreed last week to a $31 million, four-year contract that could be worth $65.75 million over five seasons.

The 30-year-old began last season in the bullpen and transitioned to the starting rotation in May and finished 9-5 with a 2.46 ERA in 33 appearances, including 25 starts.

Tampa Bay remains scheduled for hearings with right-handers Jason Adam and Ryan Thompson, left-hander Colin Poche, and outfielder Harold Ramírez.