Yankees’ Luis Severino has start pushed back due to body soreness

Jonathan Dyer-USA TODAY Sports
1 Comment

TAMPA, Fla. — New York Yankees right-hander Luis Severino had his spring training start scheduled for Wednesday night pushed back to Saturday because of general body soreness.

Severino was limited to four late-season relief appearances in 2021 after having Tommy John surgery on Feb. 27, 2020. He is slated to follow opening-day starter Gerrit Cole this season in the Yankees’ rotation.

“He was a little sore coming out of his last one,” New York manager Aaron Boone said after a 14-2 exhibition win over the Philadelphia Phillies.

“So we just want to push it back a little bit. I feel like it is general and us being cautious. But anytime I say that about a pitcher, especially his stature and what he’s been through, yeah, it gives you a little bit (of a pause). I feel like it’s something that resolves itself,” he said.

A 19-game winner in 2018, Severino signed a $40 million, four-year contract before the 2019 season. He was limited by shoulder soreness to three appearances in 2019, the first on Sept. 17 and the last on Sept. 28, plus a pair of postseason starts

Boone said Jordan Montgomey will start the third game for the Yankees, with Jameson Taillon taking the mound for the fourth.

Taillon had offseason surgery to repair a right ankle tendon. The right-hander went 8-6 with a 4.30 ERA over 29 starts in his first season with the Yankees. Prior to last year, he hadn’t pitched since May 1, 2019, while with the Pittsburgh Pirates because of Tommy John surgery.

Cole was slowed late last year by a left hamstring injury.

Nestor Cortes Jr. is the fifth starter.

“Nestor, could just depending on what we do in the first two games and you know with the off day in there, he may go the fifth game or he may go the sixth game,” Boone said. “That’s kind of the plan right now. But again, I don’t want to announce anything as official but that’s kind of how it’s lining up.”

The Yankees open the regular season at home on April 7 against the Boston Red Sox.

Phillies’ Bryce Harper to miss start of season after elbow surgery

Getty Images
2 Comments

PHILADELPHIA – Phillies slugger Bryce Harper will miss the start of the 2023 season after he had reconstructive right elbow surgery.

The operation was performed by Dr. Neal ElAttrache in Los Angeles.

Harper is expected to return to Philadelphia’s lineup as the designated hitter by the All-Star break. He could be back in right field by the end of the season, according to the team.

The 30-year-old Harper suffered a small ulnar collateral ligament tear in his elbow in April. He last played right field at Miami on April 16. He had a platelet-rich plasma injection in May and shifted to designated hitter.

Harper met Nov. 14 with ElAttrache, who determined the tear did not heal on its own, necessitating surgery.

Even with the elbow injury, Harper led the Phillies to their first World Series since 2009, where they lost in six games to Houston. He hit .349 with six homers and 13 RBIs in 17 postseason games.

In late June, Harper suffered a broken thumb when he was hit by a pitch and was sidelined for two months. The two-time NL MVP still hit .286 with 18 homers and 65 RBIs for the season.

Harper left Washington and signed a 13-year, $330 million contract with the Phillies in 2019. A seven-time All-Star, Harper has 285 career home runs.

With Harper out, the Phillies could use Nick Castellanos and Kyle Schwarber at designated hitter. J.T. Realmuto also could serve as the DH when he needs a break from his catching duties.