Getty Images

Addison Russell signs with Korea’s Kiwoom Heroes


Former Cubs infielder Addison Russell has signed a deal with the Kiwoom Heroes in South Korea. It’s a $530K contract. The deal was reported by Jeeho Yoo of Yonhap News.

Russell was non-tendered by the Cubs last December. He was suspended 40 games by Major League Baseball in October of 2018 after his now-ex-wife Melisa Reidy detailed years of physical abuse she suffered at his hands.

The Cubs’ non-tender, however, was not a response to Russell’s history of abuse. Indeed, the Cubs tendered Russell a contract a couple months after his suspension was announced and he played for them in 2019. He played poorly, though, which is why the Cubs cut ties.

Now he’ll play for the Heroes.

Ex-Angels employee charged in overdose death of Tyler Skaggs

AP Photo

FORT WORTH, Texas — A former Angels employee has been charged with conspiracy to distribute fentanyl in connection with last year’s overdose death of Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs, prosecutors in Texas announced Friday.

Eric Prescott Kay was arrested in Fort Worth, Texas, and made his first appearance Friday in federal court, according to Erin Nealy Cox, the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Texas. Kay was communications director for the Angels.

Skaggs was found dead in his hotel room in the Dallas area July 1, 2019, before the start of what was supposed to be a four-game series against the Texas Rangers. The first game was postponed before the teams played the final three games.

Skaggs died after choking on his vomit with a toxic mix of alcohol and the powerful painkillers fentanyl and oxycodone in his system, a coroner’s report said. Prosecutors accused Kay of providing the fentanyl to Skaggs and others, who were not named.

“Tyler Skaggs’s overdose – coming, as it did, in the midst of an ascendant baseball career – should be a wake-up call: No one is immune from this deadly drug, whether sold as a powder or hidden inside an innocuous-looking tablet,” Nealy Cox said.

If convicted, Kay faces up to 20 years in prison. Federal court records do not list an attorney representing him, and an attorney who previously spoke on his behalf did not immediately return a message seeking comment.