Art Howe
Tom Hauck/Getty Images

Art Howe in ICU due to COVID-19


KPRC 2 reports that former major league player and manager Art Howe is in the intensive care unit (ICU) of a hospital after testing positive for the coronavirus (COVID-19). He has been in the hospital since Tuesday.

Howe said he began experiencing symptoms on May 3, describing chills that made his entire body shake “like a leaf.” He has also experienced a loss of taste and “total fatigue.” In order to be released from the hospital, he will have to go 24 hours without having a fever.

Howe, 73, had an 11-year major league career from 1974-85. He played for the Astros through the ’82 season, then played for the Cardinals in ’84-85. He became the Astros’ manager in 1989, managing them through 1993. The A’s hired him as a manager in 1996 and he remained at the helm through the 2002 campaign. He last managed in 2003 and ’04 with the Mets.

We wish Howe the best and hope for a speedy recovery.

Ex-Angels employee charged in overdose death of Tyler Skaggs

AP Photo
1 Comment

FORT WORTH, Texas — A former Angels employee has been charged with conspiracy to distribute fentanyl in connection with last year’s overdose death of Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs, prosecutors in Texas announced Friday.

Eric Prescott Kay was arrested in Fort Worth, Texas, and made his first appearance Friday in federal court, according to Erin Nealy Cox, the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Texas. Kay was communications director for the Angels.

Skaggs was found dead in his hotel room in the Dallas area July 1, 2019, before the start of what was supposed to be a four-game series against the Texas Rangers. The first game was postponed before the teams played the final three games.

Skaggs died after choking on his vomit with a toxic mix of alcohol and the powerful painkillers fentanyl and oxycodone in his system, a coroner’s report said. Prosecutors accused Kay of providing the fentanyl to Skaggs and others, who were not named.

“Tyler Skaggs’s overdose – coming, as it did, in the midst of an ascendant baseball career – should be a wake-up call: No one is immune from this deadly drug, whether sold as a powder or hidden inside an innocuous-looking tablet,” Nealy Cox said.

If convicted, Kay faces up to 20 years in prison. Federal court records do not list an attorney representing him, and an attorney who previously spoke on his behalf did not immediately return a message seeking comment.