Stephen Brashear/Getty Images

Zack Greinke loses no-hit bid in ninth inning vs. Mariners

3 Comments

Update (12:36 AM ET): Greinke is relieved, probably. With one out in the ninth inning, Greinke gave up a weakly-hit single to shallow left-center field to Austin Nola, ending the no-hit bid. He gave up another single to Tim Lopes before being taken out of the game at 108 pitches.

*

Update (12:17 AM ET): Greinke is now through eight innings at 92 pitches. He sandwiched ground ball outs between a sharp comebacker from Omar Narváez.

*

Astros starter Zack Greinke, who has actually said he never wants to throw a no-hitter, is through seven hitless innings against the Mariners in Seattle on Wednesday night. The Mariners have already been no-hit twice this season — twice since July, to be more specific.

With 82 pitches thrown thus far, Greinke has allowed just one base runner, coming on a Dee Gordon walk in the sixth inning. He has fanned nine batters. Both Astro runs came in the first inning on RBI doubles from Alex Bregman and Yordan Álvarez.

Greinke, 35, entered Wednesday night’s start with a 17-5 record, a 3.05 ERA, and a 178/29 K/BB ratio in 200 1/3 innings between the Diamondbacks (146 innings) and Astros (54 1/3 innings).

The Astros have authored the two most recent no-hitters. Justin Verlander pitched a no-no against the Blue Jays on September 1, and the foursome of Aaron Sanchez, Will Harris, Joe Biagini, and Chris Devenski combined to no-hit the Mariners on August 3.

In June, Richard Morin of the Arizona Republic quoted Greinke as saying about a no-hitter, “It would just probably be more hassle than anything … just a bunch of nonsense comes with it.”

We’ll keep you updated as Greinke attempts to navigate the final two innings.

Max Scherzer: ‘There’s no reason to engage with MLB in any further compensation reductions’

Max Scherzer
Mark Brown/Getty Images
9 Comments

MLBPA player representative Max Scherzer sent out a short statement late Wednesday night regarding the ongoing negotiations between the owners and the union. On Tuesday, ownership proposed a “sliding scale” salary structure on top of the prorated pay cuts the players already agreed to back in March. The union rejected the proposal, with many worrying that it would drive a wedge in the union’s constituency.

Scherzer is one of eight players on the MLBPA executive subcommittee along with Andrew Miller, Daniel Murphy, Elvis Andrus, Cory Gearrin, Chris Iannetta, James Paxton, and Collin McHugh.

Scherzer’s statement:

After discussing the latest developments with the rest of the players there’s no reason to engage with MLB in any further compensation reductions. We have previously negotiated a pay cut in the version of prorated salaries, and there’s no justification to accept a 2nd pay cut based upon the current information the union has received. I’m glad to hear other players voicing the same viewpoint and believe MLB’s economic strategy would completely change if all documentation were to become public information.

Indeed, aside from the Braves, every other teams’ books are closed, so there has been no way to fact-check any of the owners’ claims. Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts, for example, recently said that 70 percent of the Cubs’ revenues come from “gameday operations” (ticket sales, concessions, etc.). But it went unsubstantiated because the Cubs’ books are closed. The league has only acknowledged some of the union’s many requests for documentation. Without supporting evidence, Ricketts’ claim, like countless others from team executives, can only be taken as an attempt to manipulate public sentiment.

Early Thursday morning, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reported that the MLBPA plans to offer a counter-proposal to MLB in which the union would suggest a season of more than 100 games and fully guaranteed prorated salaries. It seems like the two sides are quite far apart, so it may take longer than expected for them to reach an agreement.