Getty Images

Phillies’ Klentak, MacPhail get three-year extensions

4 Comments

Matt Gelb of The Athletic reports that Phillies general manager Matt Klentak and team president Andy MacPhail received three-year contract extensions that were never publicly announced. Klentak, Gelb reports, got a new deal this past spring that takes him through the 2022 season. MacPhail reportedly got a three year extension in late 2017 hat takes him through the 2021 season.

On a basic level is this relevant and interesting news for Phillies fans. It suggest that ownership has confidence in the executive team that has authored a rebuild which has since moved on to the competitive stage. That said, it’s an executive team that, while successful in transforming the Phillies from a losing team to a contending one — and one which made a huge splash this past offseason by acquiring multiple high-profile players, capped by signing Bryce Harper — still presides over a flawed team that is struggling relative to expectations. How that cuts is open to multiple interpretations, of course. It can show an admirable devotion to the long game. It could also cause some fans to question whether there’s an urgency there to patch the holes that have the Phillies currently looking up at the Nationals and Braves.

I find the lack of team comment about it all the most interesting. Gelb details multiple statements from management and ownership over the years in which they refused to talk about the contract status of team executives, saying it’s no one’s business. Do you think that’s the case? Personally, I think it’s relevant to the public and the fan base, inasmuch as they have a right to know if successful executives are being rewarded for success or if unsuccessful executives are being held accountable. It’s the sort of thing that, in turn, lets fans assess how much confidence they want to place in the team. The Phillies, though, don’t think that’s important, it seems.

Thankfully Gleb’s sources do. And as a result, today we know something about the Phillies front office we didn’t know yesterday.

Carlos Correa likely headed to injured list again

Will Newton/Getty Images
Leave a comment

Per MLB.com’s Brian McTaggart, Astros manager A.J. Hinch said shortstop Carlos Correa will likely be placed on the 10-day injured list due to a back injury. Correa exited Monday’s game against the Tigers after two innings due to the back issue.

Correa, 24, missed two months between May 26 and July 26 due to a broken rib. Back issues aren’t anything new to him either, as he missed time last year with back issues as well. This season, the shortstop is batting .278/.358/.556 with 19 home runs and 56 RBI in 310 plate appearances.

Alex Bregman handled shortstop for a majority of the time Correa was out earlier this year, shifting over from third base. That could once again be the case going forward, with Yuli Gurriel taking over at the hot corner.