Jake Peavy
Getty Images

Report: Jake Peavy retires

6 Comments

Right-hander Jake Peavy has retired from Major League Baseball, per recent reports from Scott Miller of Bleacher Report and Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe. Peavy told Miller that he has abandoned any comeback plans in 2019, though it looks like he still intends to be involved in baseball at some point.

It’s been nearly three years since the 37-year-old righty made any kind of official appearance in the majors. After getting his start with the Padres in 2002, he played multi-season gigs with the White Sox, Red Sox, and Giants, compiling a cumulative 3.63 ERA, 2,207 strikeouts, and 44.1 fWAR across 15 years in the league. His most memorable performance came during the Padres’ 2007 campaign, when he commanded a 19-6 record with a league-best 2.54 ERA, 240 strikeouts, and a 2.84 FIP through 223 1/3 innings — numbers so crisp that they merited a second career All-Star nomination, seventh place in NL MVP voting, and Peavy’s first and only NL Cy Young Award.

In the decade that followed those accolades, however, Peavy struggled to sustain that kind of dominance on the mound. During his 2010 run with the White Sox, he tore his right latissimus dorsi tendon completely off the bone and had just made a full recovery when he went back on the injured list with a rotator cuff injury. His last several seasons were marked by further injuries — a fractured rib, a severe laceration to his non-pitching hand, a lingering back strain — and despite two World Series runs with the 2013 Red Sox and 2014 Giants, he ended his time in MLB with some career-worst numbers: a 5.54 ERA, 2.7 BB/9, 7.7 SO/9, and 0.7 fWAR through 118 2/3 innings in San Francisco.

Last May, after a year’s absence from the majors and some intense personal issues, Peavy told reporters that he had regained full mobility in his arm and intended to pitch again during the 2018 season. No teams ended up nabbing the veteran starter, however. Now, as Miller reported Friday, it looks as though he’ll focus on family responsibilities instead.

Red Sox employees “livid” over team pay cut plan

Getty Images
16 Comments

Even Drellich of The Athletic reports that the Boston Red Sox are cutting the pay of team employees. Those cuts, which began to be communicated last night, apply to all employees making $50,000 or more. They are tiered cuts, with people making $50-99,000 seeing salary cut by 20%, those making $100k-$499,000 seeing $25% cuts and those making $500,000 or more getting 30% cuts.

Drellich reported that a Red Sox employee told him that “people are livid” over the fact that those making $100K are being treated the same way as those making $500K. And, yes, that does seem to be a pretty wide spread for similar pay cuts. One would think that a team with as many analytically-oriented people on staff could perhaps break things down a bit more granularly.

Notable in all of this that the same folks who own the Red Sox — Fenway Sports Group — own Liverpool FC of the English Premier League, and that just last month Liverpool’s pay cut/employee furlough policies proved so unpopular that they led to a backlash and a subsequent reversal by the club. That came after intense criticism from Liverpool fan groups and local politicians. Sox owner John Henry must be confident that no such backlash will happen in Boston.

As we noted yesterday, The Kansas City Royals, who are not as financially successful as the Boston Red Sox, have not furloughed employees or cut pay as a result of baseball’s shutdown in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Perhaps someone in Boston could call the Royals and ask them how they managed that.