Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times writes that there is “industry-wide speculation” the Dodgers will trade Yasiel Puig this offseason.
Puig has, for the most part, stayed out of the headlines and has been pretty darn productive over the past two seasons, so this might come as a bit of a surprise. Hernandez reports, however, that Puig is “disgruntled” over being increasingly platooned and, one year away from free agency, likely wants to show potential suitors that he’s not a platoon player.
Which, however understandable, is not going to make him many friends among his teammates, most of whom have been platooned, often aggressively, by manager Dave Roberts. That’s part of how the Dodgers role these days given their depth and given how many players they have who can man multiple positions. For what it’s worth, Puig hit far, far better against righties than lefties in 2018, with an OPS of .921 against the former and .628 against the latter.
Puig has been on the trading block many times over the years, but the Dodgers haven’t pulled the trigger. If what Hernandez says is true, that could very well change this offseason.
The Reds have sent second baseman Scooter Gennett in for an MRI exam after he was forced to make an early departure from Friday’s 6-4 loss to the Brewers. The exact nature of the injury has yet to be reported, but starting pitcher Robert Stephenson said Gennett may have hurt himself after he “rolled weird” while trying to rein in a ground ball. He appeared to be grabbing at his right thigh/groin area immediately afterward and was helped off the field.
Following the incident, the 28-year-old was swiftly replaced by veteran infielder Carlos Rivero, who went hitless as he finished out the game. Though Gennett went 0-for-1 in his lone at-bat on Friday, he’s been tearing through the Cactus League competition this spring with a .351/.405/.486 batting line in 42 plate appearances so far.
The extent of Gennett’s injuries have not been disclosed — and may still be unknown to the team as well — but any significant setback would undoubtedly throw a wrench in the Reds’ plans this season, as he was the presumed starter at the keystone after turning in his first All-Star worthy performance in 2018. Although they have a promising alternative in top infield/outfield prospect Nick Senzel, the 23-year-old has not seen any time at second base this year and was recently reassigned to Triple-A Louisville to start the 2019 season.