Clayton Kershaw
Getty Images

Clayton Kershaw to start World Series Game 5

Leave a comment

While the Red Sox and Dodgers await the results of World Series Game 4 this evening, left-hander Clayton Kershaw has already been penciled in to start Game 5 of the series on Sunday night.

Kershaw made a brief appearance during Game 3 on Friday, albeit not on the mound. The Los Angeles ace was inserted as a pinch-hitter in the bottom of the 17th inning and saw four pitches from Boston’s Nathan Eovaldi before lining out to right field. He hasn’t pitched a proper postseason game since Game 1 of the World Series, however, when he tossed four innings of five-run, five-strikeout ball in an 8-4 loss to the Red Sox.

While Kershaw’s lone World Series outing was also his worst this postseason, he’s proven more than capable of replicating the kind of All-Star results the Dodgers have come to expect from him during the regular season. He hurled eight shutout innings in a dominant Game 2 performance during the NLDS and put away the Brewers with seven frames of one-run ball in Game 5 of the NLCS. With the Dodgers looking to gain the upper hand in the World Series this weekend, it remains to be seen whether he can deliver similar results once again.

The Red Sox, meanwhile, announced their decision to send left-hander Eduardo Rodríguez to the mound for a Game 4 start. Who they go to for Game 5 will largely depend on how much of a role the bullpen plays on Saturday, with starter Drew Pomeranz expected to pick up a few innings after Rodríguez finishes his outing. The way things currently stand, Chris Sale seems like a natural choice for Sunday’s matchup as he did not appear during Game 3’s 18-inning marathon and will be approaching his next start on at least four days of rest.

Josh Reddick says he and his Astros teammates have received death threats

Getty Images
3 Comments

Yesterday Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle spoke to Athletics pitcher Mike Fiers. In the course of the interview, Fiers revealed that he has received death threats for blowing the whistle on the Astros’ cheating. Rob Manfred said last week, before the interview came out, that Major League Baseball would do everything in its power to protect Fiers and his family both when the A’s play in Houston and when they play anyplace else.

Manfred’s pledge of protection is going to need to be expanded, because today the guys on whom Fiers blew the whistle are saying they’ve received death threats as well.

At least Josh Reddick is saying it:

It’s obviously disgraceful for anyone to have to endure this sort of crap. People need to get a grip.