Chris Sale
AP Images

Red Sox pull Chris Sale after four innings

12 Comments

So much for a meeting of the aces. Boston southpaw Chris Sale went toe-to-toe with Astros lefty Justin Verlander during Game 1 of the ALCS on Saturday, but neither pitcher came away looking anything like the perennial Cy Young contenders they are.

It was far worse for Sale, who toiled through four long innings of two-run, five-strikeout, 86-pitch ball in the Championship Series opener. He opened the game with an eight-pitch walk to George Springer, then set the rest of the Astros’ lineup down on nine pitches. In the second inning, nearly every batter drew a full count against the left-hander. Sale issued a seven-pitch walk to Carlos Correa, then worked a 2-2 count against Martin Maldonado before his fifth pitch, a 96-MPH fastball, grazed Maldonado’s hand and awarded him a free base.

With a third walk to Josh Reddick, the Astros had the bases loaded against Sale with two outs and All-Star slugger George Springer up to bat. Springer struck a line drive to left field — the first and only hit Sale would allow all night — and plated a pair of runs to get the Astros on the board. While no sign of injury or excessive fatigue appeared to impede Sale’s mechanics, the 29-year-old’s velocity and command continued to erode over the next two innings. He retired the side on 19 pitches in the third (and another walk, his fourth of the game) and finished off his final inning with another 17, bringing his total just four shy of 90 as he turned over the ball to right-hander Joe Kelly in the fifth.

By the end of Sale’s outing, he’d allowed two runs on one hit, four walks, and five strikeouts. Even more disconcerting: In four innings, just 50 of his 86 pitches landed for strikes. Needless to say, this isn’t the 2.11-ERA, 6.5-fWAR hurler that helped propel Boston to a franchise-best 108-win season in 2018. While Sale didn’t enter Game 1 with the strongest postseason resume, this was an uncharacteristically difficult outing for the AL East ace — and one that cast some serious doubt about the Red Sox’ ability to power through the rest of this series, too.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
1 Comment

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.