Getty Images

Report: Dodgers minor leaguer sexually assaulted hotel maid in 2015

46 Comments

The Daily Beast reports this morning that, in 2015, a Dodgers minor leaguer who was assigned to the Arizona Instructional League sexually assaulted a hotel maid. The article raises questions as to how the Dodgers subsequently handled the matter given that the player was soon signed by another team.

According to the report, the player had been harassing the maid, making inappropriate comments to her and asking her out on a date despite her clearly signaling that she was not interested. This went on for some time until, eventually, he grabbed the maid from behind, she pushed him off and he grabbed her again. He eventually relented and the maid reported the incident to hotel staff.

According to internal emails, the Dodgers investigated the incident and, by all indications, believed the maid’s account. High-ranking officials were in the loop, including then-head of player development Gabe Kapler who said in an email that he was “embarrassed for our organization.” Another Dodgers official said that the player was lucky not to be in jail. The police were not called, it seems, as the maid did not wish to alert authorities.

There was not, however, any suggestion that the Dodgers notified Major League Baseball about the incident. Rather, they handled the matter internally, taking the player out of Arizona and assigning him to the Dominican Republic developmental league. A couple of months later the Dodgers released him, but he was soon signed by another organization, presumably one with no knowledge of his history. The player’s identity was not reported by the Daily Beast as he was not charged with a crime.

As the Daily Beast notes, the fact that the alleged perpetrator was punished by one team but allowed to play for another soon after without either the other team or the league knowing about it reveals a gap in how MLB handles allegations of sexual assault across the league. For its part, MLB said it “considers the matter closed.”

One would think that, in light of this report, MLB would do better than that and would, instead, explain why a team was allowed to keep such a serious matter quiet and why teams are not required to alert the league of such incidents.

 

Max Scherzer, with broken nose, strikes out 10 Phillies over seven shutout innings

Patrick Smith/Getty Images
3 Comments

Nationals starter Max Scherzer bunted a ball into his face during batting practice on Tuesday, breaking his nose in the process. He ended up with a gnarly looking shiner around his right eye, making him appear a bit like Terminator. Scherzer still took the ball to start the second game of Wednesday night’s doubleheader against the Phillies.

Despite the injury, Scherzer was incredibly effective, limiting the Phillies to four hits and two walks across seven shutout innings, striking out 10 batters in the process. He might even have had some extra adrenaline going, as he averaged 96.2 MPH on his fastball, his highest average fastball velocity in a game since September 2012, per MLB.com’s Jamal Collier. The Nationals provided Scherzer with just one run of support, coming on a Brian Dozier solo home run off of Jake Arrieta in the second inning, but it was enough.

Wander Suero worked a scoreless top of the eighth with a pair of strikeouts. Victor Robles added a solo homer off of Pat Neshek in the bottom half. Closer Sean Doolittle took over in the ninth, working a 1-2-3 frame to give the Nats their 2-0 victory.

Over his last six starts, Scherzer now has a 0.88 ERA with a 59/8 K/BB ratio across 41 innings. He has gone six innings, struck out at least nine batters, and held the opposition to two or fewer runs in each of those six starts.