Mike Stobe/Getty Images

Red Sox rout Yankees 16-1, take 2-1 lead in ALDS

17 Comments

The Red Sox routed the Yankees 16-1 in Game 3 of the ALDS at Yankee Stadium on Monday night. They will take a 2-1 series lead and try to punch their ticket to the ALCS on Tuesday.

We covered some of the more interesting developments in the game earlier, like first base umpire Ángel Hernández spurring many replay reviews and Aaron Boone bungling the fourth inning. Here is a recap of the scoring.

Yankees starter Luis Severino lasted three-plus innings and was on the hook for six runs on seven hits and two walks with two strikeouts.

Nathan Eovaldi, meanwhile, pitched brilliantly. He tamed the Yankees’ powerful lineup, holding them to one run on five hits with no walks and five strikeouts. It’s only the fifth time in 23 starts this season he has completed seven innings.

Heath Hembree got mop-up duty, working a 1-2-3 bottom of the eighth. In the top of the ninth, the Yankees sent position player Austin Romine to the mound to pitch. If you thought the postseason was immune to the position players pitching trend, you thought wrong. Romine got two quick outs, but then issued a walk to Ian Kinsler before serving up a home run to Holt to help him complete the cycle — the first in postseason history.

Eduardo Rodriguez took over in the bottom of the ninth, getting through the frame without yielding 15 runs, putting the game in the books. The 16 runs scored by the Red Sox is the most in a postseason game since the Cardinals beat the Rangers 16-7 in Game 3 of the 2011 World Series (October 22). It’s just the eighth time since 1903 that a team has scored 16-plus runs in the postseason.

The Red Sox will go for the kill on Tuesday. Game 4 will start at 8:07 PM ET and will be broadcast on TBS. The Red Sox will start Rick Porcello opposite the Yankees’ CC Sabathia. If they’re able to close it out, the Red Sox will meet up with the Astros in the ALCS.

Rafael Devers won’t visit White House with Red Sox

Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images
20 Comments

The World Series champion Red Sox are scheduled to visit President Trump in the White House on February 15. Some have speculated that manager Álex Cora, who is from Puerto Rico and has been critical of Trump and has been a big factor in Hurricane Maria relief efforts, might not go as a form of protest. Thus far, nothing concrete has been reported on that front.

However, third baseman Rafael Devers says he isn’t going to join the Red Sox on their visit to the White House, Evan Drellich of NBC Sports Boston reports. Devers would prefer to focus on baseball, as the Red Sox open spring training on February 13 and position players have to report on February 17. Per Chris Mason, Devers also said via a translator, “The opportunity was presented and I just wasn’t compelled to go.”

Devers hails from the Dominican Republic and he, like many of Major League Baseball’s foreign-born player base, might not be happy about Trump’s immigration policies. Understandably, he is being tight-lipped about his motivation, but it wouldn’t be surprising if Devers is making a silent protest by choosing not to attend. He is thus far the only member of the team to bow out.

Devers, 22, hit .240/.298/.433 with 21 home runs, 66 RBI, and 59 runs scored in 490 plate appearances last season.

Last year, when the Astros visited Trump at the White House, they did so without Carlos Correa and Carlos Beltrán. Both are from Puerto Rico. It is certainly not unprecedented for individual players to opt out of the White House visit.

No word yet on what food will be served during Boston’s trip to the nation’s capital, but the smart money is on hamberders.