Getty Images

Tyler Clippard will start for first time in over ten years

4 Comments

The Toronto Blue Jays announced that they’re going to start Tyler Clippard tonight against the Mariners.

This despite the fact that he only has eight starts total in 678 career appearances. Indeed, he has not started a game in over ten years. The last one came on June 14, 2008 when he was the Nationals. He actually did pretty good that day, allowing two runs while scattering seven hits over six innings, picking up the win. The opponent: these same Seattle Mariners.

Well, not the “same” Mariners. Most of those guys are gone now. Felix Hernandez was on that team. No longer Mariners but still around areAdrian Beltre, Luis Valbuena and Brandom Morrow. Ichiro was on that team too, but I don’t know if you can call him “active” anymore. Even if you leave him out, though, it’s not too bad to have four guys who are still playing a decade after the fact. Anyone know what happened to that Beltre guy?

Anyway, the Jays are starting Clippard because their rotation is a mess, with J.A. Happ being traded and others turning in some short outings leading to bullpen days, either by design or by coincidence. This is another one.

Enjoy your start, Mr. Clippard. Remember: you don’t have to run in from the bullpen. You can stroll in to the dugout during the top of the first and then walk out since it’s the beginning of the game.

Marlins’ Jeter blames outbreak on ‘false sense of security’

Derek Jeter statement
Getty Images
4 Comments

MIAMI (AP) Miami Marlins CEO Derek Jeter blamed the team’s coronavirus outbreak on a collective false sense of security that made players lax about social distancing and wearing masks.

Infected were 21 members of the team’s traveling party, including at least 18 players. None is seriously ill, Jeter said Monday, and he expects all to return this season.

With more than half of the team sidelined, Jeter said the Marlins still can be competitive when their season resumes Tuesday at Baltimore after a hiatus of more than a week.

Following an MLB investigation, Jeter said, it’s impossible to know where the first Marlins player became infected or how the virus reached their clubhouse. They left South Florida last week to play two exhibition games in Atlanta, and then opened the season with a three-game series in Philadelphia, where the outbreak surfaced.

“Guys were around each other, they got relaxed and they let their guard down,” Jeter said. “They were getting together in groups. They weren’t wearing masks as much as they should have. They weren’t social distancing. The entire traveling party got a little too comfortable.”

Jeter said his players were annoyed by speculation that reckless misbehavior was to blame.

“Our guys were not running all around town in Atlanta,” he said. “We did have a couple of individuals leave the hotel. We had guys leave to get coffee, to get clothes. A guy left to have dinner at a teammate’s house. There were no other guests on site. There was no salacious activity. There was no hanging out at bars, no clubs, no running around Atlanta.”

By Sunday, the outbreak had become so serious that the Marlins’ season was temporarily suspended, with the team stranded in Philadelphia. The infected players have since returned by bus to South Florida, where they are quarantined.

“We have a lot of players who are asymptomatic, and we have players who are showing mild symptoms,” Jeter said.

He said he is optimistic his players will closely adhere to the MLB virus protocols the rest of the season.

“We’ve been given an opportunity to hit the reset button,” Jeter said. “I hope people look at what happened to us and use that as a warning to see how quickly this is able to spread if you’re not following the protocols 100%.”

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports

Follow Steven Wine on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Steve-Wine