Getty Images

Report: Padres sign Eric Hosmer to eight-year, $144 million deal

14 Comments

Eric Hosmer‘s patience has paid off. The free agent first baseman reportedly netted an eight-year, $144 million contract with the Padres late Saturday night, per Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune. According to additional reports by MLB Network’s Jon Morosi and SB Nation’s Chris Cotillo, the contract was front-loaded at the behest of Hosmer’s agent, Scott Boras, and is structured to pay out a $5 million bonus, $20 million per year from 2018-2022, and $13 million per year from 2023-2025. It’s said to be the biggest contract in franchise history, though the team is unlikely to confirm the deal until Hosmer clears his physical on Monday.

Hosmer has a high bar to clear this season after putting up career-best numbers across the board in 2017. The 28-year-old infielder made all 162 starts with the Royals last year, batting a cool .285/.498/.882 with 25 home runs and 4.1 fWAR in 671 plate appearances and crowning his accomplishments with his fourth Gold Glove and first Silver Slugger. It hasn’t been all sunshine and roses for the veteran first baseman, however; he’s just one season removed from an underwhelming .266-average, -0.1-fWAR season with the Royals, and hasn’t exactly been a model of consistency at the plate or on the field from year to year.

That hasn’t fazed the Padres yet, though, and they’ll need to do some serious reshuffling to fit Hosmer at first base this spring. Wil Myers, who was tagged for the position earlier in the offseason, is expected to shift over to a corner outfield spot while Jose Pirela and Hunter Renfroe compete for the other corner. Alex Dickerson, Matt Szczur and Cory Spangenberg figure to be in the mix as well. If nothing else, Hosmer should provide a significant boost for the Padres’ lineup, which finished last among all major league teams with a cumulative .234/.299/.393 batting line, .287 BABIP and 7.3 fWAR in 2017.

 

Ex-Angels employee charged in overdose death of Tyler Skaggs

AP Photo
1 Comment

FORT WORTH, Texas — A former Angels employee has been charged with conspiracy to distribute fentanyl in connection with last year’s overdose death of Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs, prosecutors in Texas announced Friday.

Eric Prescott Kay was arrested in Fort Worth, Texas, and made his first appearance Friday in federal court, according to Erin Nealy Cox, the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Texas. Kay was communications director for the Angels.

Skaggs was found dead in his hotel room in the Dallas area July 1, 2019, before the start of what was supposed to be a four-game series against the Texas Rangers. The first game was postponed before the teams played the final three games.

Skaggs died after choking on his vomit with a toxic mix of alcohol and the powerful painkillers fentanyl and oxycodone in his system, a coroner’s report said. Prosecutors accused Kay of providing the fentanyl to Skaggs and others, who were not named.

“Tyler Skaggs’s overdose – coming, as it did, in the midst of an ascendant baseball career – should be a wake-up call: No one is immune from this deadly drug, whether sold as a powder or hidden inside an innocuous-looking tablet,” Nealy Cox said.

If convicted, Kay faces up to 20 years in prison. Federal court records do not list an attorney representing him, and an attorney who previously spoke on his behalf did not immediately return a message seeking comment.