Steven Wright’s domestic assault case put on hold for one year in preparation for dismissal

Getty Images
2 Comments

BOSTON (AP) A domestic assault case involving Red Sox pitcher Steven Wright has been retired for one year, according to a Boston Herald report.

Citing a court clerk, the newspaper reported the case was retired Thursday by the Williamson County Courthouse in Tennessee. Wright was initially due in court this week following an arrest on Dec. 8, the Herald said.

According to the law firm representing him, a retirement is the first step toward a dismissal, and Wright’s case can be dropped if no additional offenses occur within the next 12 months, the Herald reported.

A spokesman for Major League Baseball told the Herald that MLB is investigating on its own and there is no timetable for a resolution.

In accordance with baseball’s domestic violence policy, Wright could be disciplined regardless of the outcome of his criminal case.

Wright and his wife, Shannon, released a joint statement through his law firm saying they are “pleased” the case was retired and they “were able to resolve this matter quickly,” the Herald reported.

“We regret the attention this has caused our family, the Red Sox, and Major League Baseball. We remain committed to working together to improve our relationship,” the statement said.

One of the few knuckleballers in the majors, Wright was an All-Star in 2016 when he went 13-6 with a 3.33 ERA in 24 starts for Boston.

He was 1-3 with an 8.25 ERA in five starts this year, missing most of the season following left knee surgery. The 33-year-old right-hander is eligible for salary arbitration this winter.

Wright was arrested after an argument with his wife this month. He was charged with domestic assault and preventing a 911 call, both misdemeanors in Tennessee, and released on a $2,500 bond, according to the Herald.

His lawyer, Alex Little, initially released a statement from the Wright family saying he “did not raise his hands at anyone during the incident, and the situation was purely emotional,” the Herald reported.

The Red Sox have repeatedly declined to comment, the newspaper said, deferring to MLB.

Aaron Judge out of Yankees starting lineup for finale after No. 62

Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

ARLINGTON, Texas — Yankees slugger Aaron Judge wasn’t in the starting lineup for New York’s regular-season finale, a day after his 62nd home run that broke Roger Maris’ 61-year-old American League single-season record.

When Judge homered in the first inning Tuesday night, in the second game of a doubleheader against the Texas Rangers, it was his 55th consecutive game. He has played in 157 games overall for the AL East champions.

With the first-round bye in the playoffs, the Yankees won’t open postseason play until the AL Division Series starts next Tuesday.

Even though Judge had indicated that he hoped to play Wednesday, manager Aaron Boone said after Tuesday night’s game that they would have a conversation and see what made the most sense.

“Short conversation,” Boone said before Wednesday’s game, adding that he was “pretty set on probably giving him the day today.”

Asked if there was a scenario in which Judge would pinch hit, Boone responded, “I hope not.”

Judge went into the final day of the regular season batting .311, trailing American League batting average leader Minnesota’s Luis Arraez, who was hitting .315. Judge was a wide leader in the other Triple Crown categories, with his 62 homers and 131 RBIs.

Boone said that “probably the one temptation” to play Judge had been the long shot chance the slugger had to become the first AL Triple Crown winner since Detroit’s Miguel Cabrera in 2012.