Getty Images

Nine players received qualifying offers

5 Comments

Teams had until 5PM yesterday afternoon to make a qualifying offer — a one-year contract at $17.4 million — to prospective free agents. Players who received a qualifying offer have until November 16 to accept or reject the offer.

If they accept, that’s their deal for 2018. If they reject it, any team that signs them has to forfeit a draft pick next summer, with said pick being determined by the competitive and financial status of the signing team, with top first round picks being exempt (you can read the details here). The team losing the player does not get the surrendered pick, but they do receive a compensation pick after the second round. The upshot to the rejecting player, of course, is that he suddenly becomes a bit more costly to teams who would sign him, given that they’ll have to pay him and will lose a draft pick.

So, who got the qualifying offers this year? These guys:

Carlos Santana, Indians
Mike Moustakas, Royals
Eric Hosmer, Royals
Lorenzo Cain, Royals
Lance Lynn, Cardinals
Alex Cobb, Rays
Greg Holland, Rockies
Jake Arrieta, Cubs
Wade Davis, Cubs

Only five players have ever accepted qualifying offers: Jeremy Hellickson and Neil Walker last year and Colby RasmusMatt Wieters and Brett Anderson the year before. It ended up being a good move for all of them, as it wasn’t at all clear that there was a market for them such that rejecting it seemed like a great idea.

It’s hard to see anyone who will accept the qualifying offer this year, however. Moustakas and Hosmer are both under 30 and can expect multi-year offers. Santana and Cain are each above average everyday players who can likewise expect to find better deals than 1-year, $17.4 million. Pitching is always at a premium on the open market, so a former Cy Young winner like Arrieta, a couple of 30-year-old starters like Lynn and Cobb and a couple of top closers in Davis and Holland should do OK too.

They have until November 16 to think it over, but at the moment, it would be a surprise if any of these guys took their $17.4 million and went back to their old teams.

Report: Major League Baseball bans transactions with Mexican League teams

Getty Images
7 Comments

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that Major League Baseball has banned all transactions with Liga Mexicana de Beisbol (LMB), popularly known as the Mexican League. As of now, all 30 teams are prohibited from signing players under contract with LMB teams. The ban was issued due to Major League Baseball’s contention that “corruption” and “fraud” run rampant in the player acquisition process.

Passan describes the issues in detail, and they sound pretty compelling. The upshot: LMB clubs — which have full control over their players — are taking advantage of them, taking most if not all of the signing bonuses MLB teams give them after negotiating for their rights. Mexican teams often sign players when they’re 15 years-old so that, once they are old enough for American teams to approach them, they’re in the position to take a usurious cut.

Passan says Major League Baseball is demanding greater transparency from LMB before it’s willing to lift the ban. He also says that the MLBPA is in “lockstep” with Major League Baseball on the matter, which makes sense given that, if MLB’s claims are accurate, players are being exploited here. He also says that if LMB does not change its ways, there is a “Plan B,” though it’s not clear what that is.

There aren’t a ton of Mexican players signed by MLB teams each year, but there are enough to make this a significant issue that is worth watching.