Adrian Gonzalez showed up for the World Series after all

15 Comments

The other day it was reported that Dodgers first baseman Adrian Gonzalez, unavailable to the team because of injury and off the postseason roster, was spending the World Series on a European vacation. He had the blessing of his front office and from his teammates so it wasn’t the biggest deal in the world, but it did, understandably, raise some eyebrows.

Gonzalez, however, made his way back to Los Angeles at some point and was on the field before last night’s Game 2. Whether it was always planned this way or whether he changed his plans because of the media attention attracted by his absence is unknown, but there he was in all of his Dodger blue:

Most people don’t really care too much about this as Gonzalez has not been a factor in the Dodgers success all year due to his time on the DL and thus is not a factor in a World Series filled with storylines and stars. Boston sports writers sure cared, though. Here’s sports radio yakker Tony Massarotti after it was reported that Gonzalez was in Europe:

Not that Gonzalez can win with the Boston media contingent. Here’s Spink Award-winning columnist Dan Shaughnessy, offering some incisive analysis early this morning criticizing Gonzalez for returning:

That’s right, folks: Adrian Gonzalez is why the Dodgers lost last night.

All of this is inspired, of course, by the fact that the Red Sox underachieved during his two season stint in Boston. And, I presume, because he didn’t give these guys a lot of great quotes, which is an even greater sin in their eyes. Once a certain brand of Boston media personality decides that you’re worthy of criticism, you’re always worthy of that same criticism, even years later. Unless you’re John Lackey, of course, in which case you get a strange new respect years later, but we’ll leave that go.

In any event, there is some good advice to be found in the example of these guys. Hold on to what you love. Hold on to it tightly, the way that a Boston sportswriter holds on to a five-year-old grudge. Never let go of your passion. Let it fuel you with its hot fire no matter how cold it gets outside.

Aaron Judge out of Yankees starting lineup for finale after No. 62

Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

ARLINGTON, Texas — Yankees slugger Aaron Judge wasn’t in the starting lineup for New York’s regular-season finale, a day after his 62nd home run that broke Roger Maris’ 61-year-old American League single-season record.

When Judge homered in the first inning Tuesday night, in the second game of a doubleheader against the Texas Rangers, it was his 55th consecutive game. He has played in 157 games overall for the AL East champions.

With the first-round bye in the playoffs, the Yankees won’t open postseason play until the AL Division Series starts next Tuesday.

Even though Judge had indicated that he hoped to play Wednesday, manager Aaron Boone said after Tuesday night’s game that they would have a conversation and see what made the most sense.

“Short conversation,” Boone said before Wednesday’s game, adding that he was “pretty set on probably giving him the day today.”

Asked if there was a scenario in which Judge would pinch hit, Boone responded, “I hope not.”

Judge went into the final day of the regular season batting .311, trailing American League batting average leader Minnesota’s Luis Arraez, who was hitting .315. Judge was a wide leader in the other Triple Crown categories, with his 62 homers and 131 RBIs.

Boone said that “probably the one temptation” to play Judge had been the long shot chance the slugger had to become the first AL Triple Crown winner since Detroit’s Miguel Cabrera in 2012.