Mike Ehrmann/Getty Images

Giancarlo Stanton frustrated with Marlins’ losing

22 Comments

The Marlins lost again on Thursday night, suffering a 7-2 defeat at the hands of the Dodgers to fall to 14-26 on the season. The club has lost four game in a row and nine of its last 10.

Giancarlo Stanton, who has not seen his Marlins finish above .500 since he debuted in 2010, says his frustration level with the team is the “highest ever,” Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reports. “It’ shigher than me being the worst player on the field for a month, the worst player in the big leagues for a month, last year,” Stanton said.

Stanton continued, “We’ve had some bad luck with injuries, and we haven’t been playing well. Just a funk. But we’ve got to get out of it or the season is going to be twice as long as the last few years.”

Stanton is doing his part. He’s hitting .263/.339/.533 with 11 home runs and 27 RBI in 171 plate appearances this season. But the club has dealt with a litany of injuries, and Christian Yelich and Dee Gordon are not performing as expected. The starting pitching has been abysmal and the bullpen hasn’t been dependable outside of A.J. Ramos and Kyle Barraclough.

The Marlins are already 11 games out of first place. While there’s still plenty of baseball left, it would be out of character to see the Marlins made additions to strengthen the team between now and the July 31 trade deadline, so it’s likely just up to the existing roster to try to turn things around.

Starling Marté, Erik González placed on injured list following outfield collision

Starling Marte
AP Images
Leave a comment

Pirates center fielder Starling Marté has been placed on the 10-day injured list with an abdominal wall contusion and bruised right quad and shortstop Erik González has been assigned to the 60-day injured list with a fractured left clavicle, the club announced Saturday. In corresponding moves, outfield prospect Bryan Reynolds and shortstop Cole Tucker have been called up from Triple-A Indianapolis.

Both Marté and González were removed from Friday’s game against the Giants after colliding on an attempted outfield catch in the eighth inning. The players fell to the ground after crashing into each other at full speed and appeared to be in severe pain for several minutes. González was eventually able to walk off the field without assistance, while Marté was carted off after receiving attention from the Pirates’ staff.

It’s an unfortunate loss for the Pirates, as both players will likely require a lengthy recovery process before they’re cleared to rejoin the roster later this season. Prior to the incident, Marté slashed just .203/.247/.377 with seven extra-base hits, three stolen bases (in four chances), and a .623 OPS through his first 74 plate appearances of 2019, while González maintained a .216/.298/.294 batting line with three extra bases, two stolen bases, and a .592 OPS through 59 PA.

In the interim, however, the club will benefit from the talents of two top-10 prospects. Reynolds, 24, ranks no. 8 in the Pirates’ farm system and was promoted to Triple-A at the start of 2019, where he played center field and slashed .367/.446/.735 with five home runs and 11 RBI through 57 PA. Tucker, 22, placed fifth-best among the team’s prospects and also received his first promotion to Triple-A this spring, where his .333 average, three homers, and five stolen bases recommended him for an early MLB debut. Reynolds and Tucker are scheduled to make their big-league debuts together on Saturday against the Giants at 4:05 PM EDT.