Today in headlines you never thought you’d read.
MLB.com’s Jane Lee reports that the Athletics became the official sponsor of the baseball emoji today through the Unicode Consortium’s Adopt-a-Character program. The Athletics also adopted the elephant emoji to honor their mascot Stomper as well as the oak tree which A’s president Dave Kaval says symbolizes of Oakland.
A list of all of the adopted characters can be found on the Unicode website.
For fun, I decided to suggest possible emojis for some other teams.
- Yankees: Money-mouth face
- Rays: Bow and arrow (Get it? Chris Archer)
- Indians: Robot face (Because Trevor Bauer plays with drones!)
- Tigers: Tiger face (This one was too obvious)
- Royals: Crown
- White Sox: Shield (James Shields)
- Twins: Gemini
- Rangers: Camel (Cole Hamels)
- Mariners: Canoe (Robinson Cano)
- Angels: Grimacing face
- Mets: Cloud with lightning (Noah Syndergaard, a.k.a. “Thor”)
- Marlins: Framed picture (Owner Jeffrey Loria is an art dealer)
- Phillies: Jeans (Jeanmar Gomez)
- Cubs: Bear face
- Cardinals: Laptop computer (hacking)
- Pirates: Shooting star (Starling Marte)
- Brewers: Beer mug
- Dodgers: Trolleybus
- Rockies: Snow-capped mountain
- Diamondbacks: Snake