The Yankees might not want to trade Brian McCann

Getty Images
4 Comments

According to the New York Post’s George A. King III, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman appears to have little interest in trading catcher Brian McCann during the 2016 offseason.

The veteran catcher was relegated to a backup position in August after 23-year-old Gary Sanchez returned to the club for a breakout performance in the second half. Sanchez only appeared in 53 games during his rookie season, but made a strong impression on Yankees’ management after raking in 20 home runs and 42 RBI and batting .299/.376/.657 in 229 PA. He proved equally competent on defense, though the Post rightly points out that he hasn’t yet been tested with a full season’s workload. Cashman confirmed that Sanchez had supplanted McCann as the everyday catcher and would continue to do so heading into the 2017 season.

It’s not all bad news for McCann, however. The 32-year-old backstop produced 20 home runs for the ninth consecutive season and worked a .242/.335/.413 line in 492 PA by the end of the year. He primarily served as the team’s designated hitter following Sanchez’s 2016 call-up and bumped his production rate to .255/.338/.390 in 160 PA after taking a diminished role in August and September. “[McCann] can DH and catch a minimum of two games a week,” Cashman told the Post on Friday.

Blocking McCann’s chances of signing elsewhere this offseason are a hefty two years and $34 million left on the books and a strict no-trade clause. While McCann has reportedly drawn interest from the Nationals and Astros, Cashman refused to divulge any potential landing spots for the catcher and admitted that there had been no scheduled face-to-face meetings to discuss a trade so far. Per King’s report, McCann’s agent does not appear to be pushing for any trade negotiations, either.

Bogaerts reportedly heading to the Padres for 11 years, $280 million

xander bogaerts
Paul Rutherford/USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

SAN DIEGO — The San Diego Padres and Xander Bogaerts agreed to a blockbuster 11-year, $280 million contract, adding the All-Star slugger to an already deep lineup.

A person familiar with the negotiations confirmed the contract to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because it was pending a physical.

The Padres already had Fernando Tatis Jr. at shortstop, but he missed the entire season because of injuries and an 80-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

San Diego also met with Aaron Judge and Trea Turner before the big stars opted for different teams. The Padres reached the NL Championship Series this year before losing to the Phillies.

“From our standpoint, you want to explore and make sure we’re looking at every possible opportunity to get better,” general manager A.J. Preller said before the Bogaerts deal surfaced. “We’ve got a real desire to win and do it for a long time.”

The 30-year-old Bogaerts was one of the headliners in a stellar group of free-agent shortstops that also included Turner, Carlos Correa and Dansby Swanson.

Bogaerts, who’s from Aruba, terminated his $120 million, six-year contract with Boston after the season. The four-time All-Star forfeited salaries of $20 million for each of the next three years after hitting .307 with 15 homers and 73 RBIs in 150 games.

Bogaerts is a .292 hitter with 156 homers and 683 RBIs in 10 big league seasons – all with Boston. He helped the Red Sox win the World Series in 2013 and 2018.

Bogaerts becomes the latest veteran hitter to depart Boston after the Red Sox traded Mookie Betts to the Los Angeles Dodgers in February 2020. Rafael Devers has one more year of arbitration eligibility before he can hit the market.

Bogaerts had his best big league season in 2019, batting .309 with a career-best 33 homers and 117 RBIs. He had 23 homers and 103 RBIs in 2018.

In 44 postseason games, Bogaerts is a .231 hitter with five homers and 16 RBIs.