The Mets could play a game in London as early as 2018

16 Comments

London’s Daily Telegraph reports that London mayor Sadiq Khan met with Mets owner Fred Wilpon during a trip to the United States last week. The purpose of the talks: to get the Mets to play a game in the U.K., which could happen as soon as 2018.

Khan says that Wilpon was “very receptive” to the idea. From the Telegraph:

Khan, who threw the first pitch during the Mets’ game against the Minnesota Twins while in the States, said: “What we’re discussing with Major League Baseball is for them to come here during the summer, which works for us for obvious reasons.

“They are very excited and the commissioner is very keen. They’ve tried playing Major League Baseball in Australia. They were very receptive. The owner of the New York Mets was very receptive. We’re in discussions about MLB and we want MLB to come to London.”

Earlier this year there were reports that a game could be played there in 2017, but that schedule has slipped. At the time there were no specific teams tied to the reports, however, which suggests that the 2018 plans may be more fully-formed than that which came before.

A baseball game would take place at London Stadium, which was the site of the 2012 Olympics and is where West Ham United of the English Premier League plays. Given the need to reconfigure the stadium for baseball, one assumes that the games would take place in June, July or August, when the EPL schedule is not underway. That would prevent MLB from putting the game early in the season with multiple days off on either side like it did when games were played in Australia or Japan. It’d be easier to do that, of course, given that a New York-London flight is WAY shorter than a flight to Asia or Australia, but it would limit the opportunities for public events and p.r. things.

Either way: interesting.

Brewers have 3 positive COVID tests at alternate site

Jeff Hanisch-USA TODAY Sports
1 Comment

MILWAUKEE — The Brewers had two players and a staff member test positive for the coronavirus at their alternate training site in Appleton, Wisconsin.

Milwaukee president of baseball operations David Stearns confirmed the positive results Saturday and said they shouldn’t impact the major league team. Teams are using alternate training sites this season to keep reserve players sharp because the minor league season was canceled due to the pandemic.

Stearns said the positive tests came Monday and did not name the two players or the staff member. Players must give their permission for their names to be revealed after positive tests.

The entire camp was placed in quarantine.

“We have gone through contact tracing,” Stearns said. “We do not believe it will have any impact at all on our major league team. We’ve been fortunate to get through this season relatively unscathed in this area. Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get all the way there at our alternate site.”

Milwaukee entered Saturday one game behind the Reds and Cardinals for second place in the NL Central, with the top two teams qualifying for the postseason.

The Brewers still will be able to take taxi squad players with them on the team’s trip to Cincinnati and St. Louis in the final week of the season. He said those players have had repeated negative tests and the team is “confident” there would be no possible spread of the virus.

“Because of the nature of who these individuals were, it’s really not going to affect the quarantine group at all,” Stearns said. “We’re very fortunate that the group of players who could potentially be on a postseason roster for us aren’t interacting all that much with the individuals that tested positive.”