Padres GM A.J. Preller suspended 30 days over the Drew Pomeranz trade.

Associated Press
63 Comments

We wrote a few minutes ago about the investigation into Padres GM A.J. Preller and how he allegedly kept two sets of medical records in order to deceive trade partners. Major League Baseball just weighed in on at least one part of that investigation.

The league has suspended Preller for 30 days:

Major League Baseball has completed an investigation into the July 14th transaction in which pitcher Drew Pomeranz was traded from the San Diego Padres to the Boston Red Sox.  MLB’s Department of Investigations conducted the thorough review, which included interviews with relevant individuals from both Clubs.  The findings were submitted to Commissioner Robert D. Manfred, Jr.

As a result of this matter, Major League Baseball announced today that A.J. Preller, Executive Vice President and General Manager of the Padres, has received a 30-day suspension without pay.

The statement says nothing else of substance. It does not say what, exactly, Preller did wrong. Nor does it weigh in on the Padres’ other controversial transaction this summer involving Collin Rea to the Marlins.

With respect to Pomeranz, it is known that, after acquiring him from San Diego, the Red Sox became aware of certain preventative health measures provided for Pomeranz by the Padres that weren’t disclosed in baseball’s medical database.

Thirty days for Preller is something one presumes that he can endure just fine given what he likely makes. The far more significant angle to this is what 29 other general managers think about dealing with him and the Padres now that they know he’s been trying to put something over on them.

No lease extension, but Orioles and governor tout partnership

orioles camden yards
Daniel Shirey/Getty Images
0 Comments

The Baltimore Orioles and Maryland Gov. Wes Moore announced a joint commitment to what they called a “multi-decade, public-private partnership” to revitalize the Camden Yards sports complex.

The statement from the team and the state’s new governor came Wednesday, the deadline for the Orioles to exercise a one-time, five-year extension to their lease at Camden Yards. The team was not planning to exercise that option, according to a person with knowledge of the decision. The person spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the club hadn’t announced its decision.

With no extension, the lease is set to expire at the end of this year, but the team and the Maryland Stadium Authority can keep negotiating. Wednesday’s joint release seemed to be an attempt to calm any nerves in Baltimore about the team’s future.

“I am looking forward to continuing to collaborate with Governor Moore, his administration, and the Maryland Stadium Authority in order to bring to Baltimore the modern, sustainable, and electrifying sports and entertainment destination the state of Maryland deserves,” Orioles CEO John Angelos said.

“We greatly appreciate Governor Moore’s vision and commitment as we seize the tremendous opportunity to redefine the paradigm of what a Major League Baseball venue represents and thereby revitalize downtown Baltimore. It is my hope and expectation that, together with Governor Moore and the new members and new chairman of the MSA board, we can again fully realize the potential of Camden Yards to serve as a catalyst for Baltimore’s second renaissance.”

Republican Larry Hogan, the state’s previous governor, signed a bill last year increasing bond authorization for M&T Bank Stadium, home of the Baltimore Ravens, and Camden Yards. The measure allowed borrowing of up to $600 million for each stadium.

“When Camden Yards opened 30 years ago, the Baltimore Orioles revolutionized baseball and set the bar for the fan experience,” Moore, a Democrat, said Wednesday. “We share the commitment of the Orioles organization to ensuring that the team is playing in a world-class facility at Camden Yards for decades to come and are excited to advance our public-private partnership.”

Angelos recently reaffirmed that the Orioles would stay in Baltimore, although he dressed down a reporter who asked for more clarity on the future of the team’s ownership situation. Angelos was sued last year by his brother Lou, who claimed John Angelos seized control of the Orioles at his expense.