Video: The other time Rougned Odor got into a brawl, threw punches

Ronald Martinez/Getty Images
12 Comments

Sunday afternoon was a doozy, as the Blue Jays and Rangers rivalry heated up to the surface of the sun. Matt Bush threw at Jose Bautista, ostensibly revenge for Bautista’s bat flip in the ALDS last year. Bautista then slid late into second baseman Rougned Odor on a ground ball double play attempt. Odor wasn’t happy, so he threw some punches at Bautista, one of which landed cleanly.

Blue Jays pitcher Marcus Stroman, who was at Duke University graduating while his team played the Rangers in Texas, tweeted that he “never had respect” for Odor and “never will.”

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports brought up a scout’s take on Odor when he debuted in 2014, who said, “The thing I love about him the most is you do not want to [expletive] with him.”

Apparently, Odor has a bit of a reputation. The takes have continued to come in, including one from Padres pitcher Brandon Morrow. Morrow tweeted, “blah, blah, something about glass houses…” and attached four photos of Odor sliding hard into second basemen, including one with his spikes up.

This also isn’t the first time Odor has been involved in a baseball brawl and thrown punches. In 2011, Odor was with Single-A Spokane, his first year in professional baseball. He was playing against the Vancouver Canadians, the Blue Jays’ affiliate. Odor slid late into shortstop Shane Opitz, and the two appeared to brush up against each other as Odor was leaving the field. Odor stopped dead in his tracks, turned around, pushed Opitz, then tried to punch him in the face. Odor then attempted to punch the second baseman, who was coming to his teammate’s defense. All of that earned Odor a four-game suspension.

(Video via Tim Lewis)

Major League Baseball hasn’t yet announced punishments for any of the players involved in Sunday’s altercation, but Odor is likely looking at a fine and a suspension.

Bogaerts reportedly heading to the Padres for 11 years, $280 million

xander bogaerts
Paul Rutherford/USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

SAN DIEGO — The San Diego Padres and Xander Bogaerts agreed to a blockbuster 11-year, $280 million contract, adding the All-Star slugger to an already deep lineup.

A person familiar with the negotiations confirmed the contract to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because it was pending a physical.

The Padres already had Fernando Tatis Jr. at shortstop, but he missed the entire season because of injuries and an 80-game suspension for testing positive for a performance-enhancing drug.

San Diego also met with Aaron Judge and Trea Turner before the big stars opted for different teams. The Padres reached the NL Championship Series this year before losing to the Phillies.

“From our standpoint, you want to explore and make sure we’re looking at every possible opportunity to get better,” general manager A.J. Preller said before the Bogaerts deal surfaced. “We’ve got a real desire to win and do it for a long time.”

The 30-year-old Bogaerts was one of the headliners in a stellar group of free-agent shortstops that also included Turner, Carlos Correa and Dansby Swanson.

Bogaerts, who’s from Aruba, terminated his $120 million, six-year contract with Boston after the season. The four-time All-Star forfeited salaries of $20 million for each of the next three years after hitting .307 with 15 homers and 73 RBIs in 150 games.

Bogaerts is a .292 hitter with 156 homers and 683 RBIs in 10 big league seasons – all with Boston. He helped the Red Sox win the World Series in 2013 and 2018.

Bogaerts becomes the latest veteran hitter to depart Boston after the Red Sox traded Mookie Betts to the Los Angeles Dodgers in February 2020. Rafael Devers has one more year of arbitration eligibility before he can hit the market.

Bogaerts had his best big league season in 2019, batting .309 with a career-best 33 homers and 117 RBIs. He had 23 homers and 103 RBIs in 2018.

In 44 postseason games, Bogaerts is a .231 hitter with five homers and 16 RBIs.