Getty Images

Cubs catcher Montero activated from disabled list

2 Comments

CHICAGO (AP) Miguel Montero was activated from the 15-day disabled list on Saturday, putting three catchers on the roster for the Chicago Cubs.

Montero had been sidelined by lower back tightness. He went 2 for 10 with two RBIs over three games in a rehab assignment with Triple-A Iowa.

“I feel good, surprisingly,” Montero said. “First day coming in, I was a little skeptical a little bit about blocking and all this, but I got to block a lot of balls. So all the issues that I have going in my mind, not in my body because I was feeling good, obviously felt pretty good blocking and that was kind of a turning point.”

Montero, 32, was in the starting lineup for Saturday’s game against Pittsburgh, batting eighth.

To make room on the roster, outfielder Ryan Kalish was designated for assignment. Kalish was promoted from Iowa on May 3 and batted .286 (2 for 7) in seven games with the Cubs.

The move with Kalish leaves catcher Tim Federowicz in place after he was promoted when Montero went on the DL. The major league-leading Cubs also have veteran catcher David Ross, who hit a three-run homer in Friday’s 9-4 victory over the Pirates.

“It gives us more freedom to do things in the latter part of the game,” manager Joe Maddon said, “where you know if you’ve seen us pull catchers early for different maneuvers and then when you’re going with just one guy, it gets to extra innings it’s never comfortable. It’s never comfortable.”

Maddon also said Federowicz’s solid play was a factor in how they handled the situation.

The roster makeup could change again when outfielder Matt Szczur comes off the disabled list. He is out with a mild right hamstring strain and is eligible to return on Wednesday.

“He is doing really well,” Maddon said. “Bussy (strength and conditioning coordinator Tim Buss) likes his progress. He’s moving well.”

Police: Felipe Vázquez admitted to trying to have sex with a 13 year-old

Getty Images
Leave a comment

Yesterday’s news about the arrest of Pirates closer Felipe Vázquez was pretty disturbing. Today’s update from Jeff Passan of ESPN is even worse.

Vázquez has been charged with solicitation of a child and providing obscene material to minors, and yesterday’s report said that he texted a 15-year-old girl that he would meet up with her after the season for sex. According to police, however, Vázquez had already met with a minor in an attempt to have sex. When she was 13:

Yesterday Vázquez’s attorney, Jay Reisinger, issued a statement saying “We are in the process of reviewing both the Pennsylvania and Florida charging documents, as well as the underlying facts of the matter.  At this time, any comment would be premature.”

The Pennsylvania charges referenced involve an alleged statutory sexual assault of a victim who is at least 16 years old by a person who is at least 11 years older than the victim; unlawful contact with a minor; corruption of a minor by a defendant who is 18 years old or older; and indecent assault of a person less than 16 years old. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported last night that the offenses allegedly occurred on Aug. 1, 2018.

Vázquez is still in Pennsylvania, where he was arrested, and is awaiting extradition to Florida. He was denied bail and was characterized by the arraigning judge as a flight risk. Likely because he is a native and citizen of a foreign country with substantial financial resources.

UPDATE: I had missed this previously, but the Pirates issued a statement about all of this yesterday afternoon: