Jenrry Mejia claims that MLB was out to get him

40 Comments

Mets reliever Jenrry Mejia was given a permanent ban from Major League Baseball in January for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs for a third time. He was the first player to be given baseball’s harshest PED penalty and cannot apply for reinstatement for at least two years. There is an excellent chance he has thrown his last pitch as a professional in affiliated baseball.

Now he tells Ben Berkon of the New York Times that he was set up by Major League Baseball. That they were out to get him in what he calls a “witch hunt” and that they fabricated his second and third positive drug tests to do so. He further claims that the union did not sufficiently defend him. Major League Baseball denies Mejia’s accusations. The union gave no comment citing confidentiality provisions in the Joint Drug Agreement. Mejia has hired a lawyer to explore his options.

I suppose anything is technically possible, but this sure sounds a lot like someone lashing out out of frustration than it sounds like a plausible claim. While Major League Baseball did not cover itself with glory in past PED cases, those involved non-testing situations like the Biogenesis investigation and misconduct, to the extent there was any, centered around investigators in the field. Ryan Braun, for his part, accused Major League Baseball of mishandling his positive drug sample but those were accusations based in chain-of-custody protocols, not conspiracies.

More broadly speaking, and with all respect to Mejia, one must ask why MLB , even if it was out to get people, would target a middle reliever of little renown. If you wear a tinfoil hat 24/7 you could make out some unlikely but at least moderately plausible case that MLB, in the past, looked to single out superstars in some fashion. Even that sort of thing would be an amazing stretch, of course. To suggest that it decided to go after Mejia for some reason, however, is another thing altogether.

Here’s hoping this is just a case of a young man trying to process the likely end of his career and nothing that either has any bit of truth to it or, more significantly, doesn’t consume the guy as he tries to make sense of what he’s going to do with the rest of his life.

Tyler Glasnow scheduled to rejoin Rays’ rotation

Jonathan Dyer-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. — Tampa Bay Rays right-hander Tyler Glasnow is scheduled to rejoin the rotation at Cleveland after missing nearly 14 months because of Tommy John surgery.

The Rays’ Opening Day starter last year hasn’t pitched this season after undergoing the procedure on Aug. 4, 2021.

“I think we’re pretty confident he’ll be starting for us,” Tampa Bay manager Kevin Cash said before the game with Toronto. “This is the first time he’s thrown pain-free in quite some time, so he’s encouraged by it.”

The 6-foot-8 right-hander went 5-2 with a 2.66 ERA in 14 starts last year and is a key addition as the Rays near a wild-card spot.

“Compared to the past, like, three years it feels way better as far as postday and the week leading into starts and stuff,” Glasnow said. “It’s good to have an UCL, you know.”

Cash said Glasnow will throw around 45 pitches in his initial outing, which should allow him to go two or three innings.

“Two innings of Glasnow is still a huge plus for our team,” Cash said. “Like to get three innings. If we do, great. If we don’t, that’s fine, too.”

Glasnow allowed one run, one hit, four walks and had 14 strikeouts over seven innings in four starts with Triple-A Durham.

“I’m really excited,” Glasnow said. “I’m approaching it like normal, staying on routine. Feels normal.”

Glasnow signed a two-year, $30.35 million contract that will delay the start of his free agency by one year last month. He’s making $5.1 million this year and will get $5.35 million next season and $25 million in 2024, which is the first year he would have been eligible for free agency.