Update (2/29/16 at 12:03 AM EST): Axford went 8-for-11 in predictions. He missed Best Picture (Spotlight), Best Supporting Actor (Mark Rylance), and Best Original Song (“Writing’s on the Wall”). Still, not too shabby.
Athletics reliever John Axford has garnered a reputation as a seer when it comes to predicting Oscar winners. Last year, he offered his picks at The Player’s Tribune and we’ve covered his dominance in years past as well.
Axford is back with his latest picks, via ABC News:
- Best Picture: The Revenant
- Actor – Leading: Leonardo DiCaprio
- Actress – Leading: Brie Larson
- Actor – Supporting: Sylvester Stallone
- Actress – Supporting: Alicia Vikander
- Director: Alejandro G. Iñárritu
- Cinematography: The Revenant
- Original Screenplay: Spotlight
- Adapted Screenplay: The Big Short
- Animated Feature: Inside Out
- Original Song: “Til It Happens to You”
The Oscars will be aired on Sunday, so we’ll have to wait until then to see how he does.
As for baseball, Axford is coming off of a 2015 season in which he saved 25 games, posted a 4.20 ERA, and compiled a 62/32 K/BB ratio over 55 2/3 innings for the Rockies. The 32-year-old signed a two-year, $10 million deal with the Athletics in December.