Rangers, Adrian Beltre have had preliminary extension talks

AP Photo/Tony Gutierrez
0 Comments

Adrian Beltre is entering the final year of his contract with the Rangers, but T.R. Sullivan of MLB.com reports that the two sides have had at least preliminary talks about an extension.

Rangers general manager Jon Daniels confirmed back in December that the club was interested in getting a deal done. It sounds like the feeling is mutual.

“Last year was a good turnaround from the year before,” Beltre said. “I want to be on a team that wants to win. That’s No. 1, but like I said, there is no reason for me to believe they don’t want to win. [Daniels] did what he promised in keeping the team around to win. Right now I’m confident with the way everything is going, there is no reason why I don’t want to stay here.”

Beltre turns 37 in April, so perhaps a two-year deal would be enough to make everyone happy. It’s worth noting that his agent is Scott Boras, so maybe it won’t be that simple, but motivations could be different at this point in his career.

Beltre was bothered by a thumb injury for most of last season and required surgery after the playoffs, but he said Friday that he’s feeling good. He’ll go into 2016 just 233 hits shy of joining the 3,000-hit club. If he can stay healthy, he should make it there at some point during 2017, whether it’s with the Rangers or elsewhere.