A.J. Pollock was one of the best players in baseball last year, slashing .315/.367/.498 with 20 home runs, 76 RBI, and 39 stolen bases in 157 games while playing excellent defense in center field. He earned his first All-Star nod, his first Gold Glove Award, and the dynamic 28-year-old even received some down-ballot MVP votes.
The Diamondbacks would love to secure Pollock to a long-term contract that would run into his mid-30s, but it’s probably not going to happen this winter.
Via beat writer Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic …
The Diamondbacks avoided arbitration on Friday with six players, leaving center fielder A.J. Pollock as their only remaining arbitration-eligible player.
The Diamondbacks had been hoping to find common ground with Pollock on a multi-year deal, but General Manager Dave Stewart said in a text message on Friday evening that those talks have been tabled.
“We, both sides, have for the time being put that away,” Stewart said.
Pollock just entered his first year of arbitration eligibility and he is under contractual control with the Diamondbacks through 2018, so there is no real rush on either side. He filed at $3.9 million and the Diamondbacks countered at $3.65 million. A compromise should be reached before an arbitration hearing is necessary.