Yankees outfielder Carlos Beltran says that, depending on how well he performs and how his body holds up, he may retire after the 2016 season, according to a report from Zach Braziller of the New York Post.
“I don’t think there is any big decision I have to make — other than to play one more year or go home,” he said. “In my case, I am very happy with my career. … If I feel like I produce well to the point where I can make a good impact on a team, then I can play one more year. Or if I feel like I have [had] enough, I’ll go home.”
Beltran, who turns 39 in April, has one year and $15 million remaining on his contract. Despite a slow start to the 2015 season, Beltran finished the year with terrific numbers, batting .276/.337/.471 with 19 home runs and 67 RBI in 531 plate appearances.
Baltimore Orioles CEO John Angelos and his brother Lou have agreed to end their fight over a lawsuit in which Lou accused John of seizing control of the team in defiance of their father Peter’s wishes.
Lou Angelos sued John last year, claiming John took control of the Orioles at his expense. Georgia Angelos, their mother, also was named as a defendant.
In a Friday court filing in the case, John, Lou, Georgia and Peter Angelos called on “all claims, including all counterclaims and defenses, asserted therein be dismissed with prejudice in their entirety.”
“The Parties also withdraw and terminate all pending motions submitted in these actions,” the filing said.
Peter Angelos became the Orioles’ owner in 1993, but his public role has diminished in recent years and he turned 93 last year. According to the suit, he had surgery after his aortic valve failed in 2017.
Lou Angelos accused John of trying to take control of Peter Angelos’ assets and manipulating Georgia Angelos. The lawsuit was one of a handful of off-field issues looming over the Orioles this offseason. The team also has a lease at Camden Yards that expires at the end of the year.