Scott Boras and the Mets disagree on what Matt Harvey’s innings limit is

50 Comments

Because things are going great for the Mets and because the Mets and their fans are, apparently, not allowed to enjoy themselves for five minutes before someone brings up some looming disaster, controversy or anxiety, we have this today from Jon Heyman about how the Mets and Scott Boras are disagreeing about Matt Harvey’s innings limit.

Boras says that Harvey’s doctors, which include the famous Dr. James Andrews, have determined that Harvey has a hard innings limit of 180. Sandy Alderson says that everyone talked before the season and that the limit is a “soft” limit based on facts and circumstances and leverage and pressure and all manner of other things.

The fun part, this controversy just arose now because of an email Boras sent to Alderson a couple of days ago:

Meantime, Alderson, who sounded exasperated by the whole debate, suggested he was floored when he received an email from Boras late last month setting what he saw as a new limit when he said the team has proceeded cautiously in terms of pitch limits (he’s had no games over 115 pitches and only went over 110 pitches once) and everything has been going so smoothly. “For a guy to say to us on the 29th of August ‘180 innings and then you’re going to shut him down …’ don’t call me seven months later and tell me you’re pulling the rug out from under me, not after all we’ve done to protect the player.”

For what it’s worth, Harvey has 166 and a third innings on the odometer. Which gives him two starts, really, until 180. And Boras is saying that 180 is a hard limit which includes the playoffs. Which the Mets seem pretty certain to reach.

Where’s my popcorn?

Red Sox designate Eduardo Núñez for assignment

Barry Chin/The Boston Globe via Getty Images
2 Comments

The Red Sox announced a handful of roster moves on Monday afternoon: infielder Eduardo Núñez has been designated for assignment, pitcher Hector Velázquez has been optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket, and pitcher Ryan Weber and 1B/OF Sam Travis have both been recalled from Pawtucket.

Núñez, 32, has had an awful year, batting .228/.243/.305 with two homers and 20 RBI in 174 plate appearances. He’s owed the remainder of his $4 million salary. Odds are Núñez will pass through waivers and become a free agent, after which his odds of landing with a team will go up.

Velázquez, 30, tossed 36 pitches in an inning of work against the Dodgers last night, taking the loss after allowing three runs in the 12th inning.

Travis, 25, is back for his second stint in the majors this season. Thus far, he has a .387 OPS in 31 trips to the dish.

Weber, 28, has accrued 19 1/3 innings thus far, allowing 11 runs on 24 hits and three walks with 14 strikeouts.