Hanley Ramirez won’t play any more outfield for Red Sox

23 Comments

Hanley Ramirez began fielding grounders at first base last week and acknowledged to reporters that he is being asked to move there for the 2016 season, adding that he’s “looking forward to” the change after a dreadful summer in left field.

Hanley was expected to get a couple starts at first base down the stretch in September and then focus entirely on the new position leading into 2016. But that experiment has been expedited with Hanley currently battling a left shoulder injury and Mookie Betts, Rusney Castillo, and Jackie Bradley Jr. playing so well together in the Boston outfield.

Via beat writer Sean McAdam of CSNNewEngland.com

Asked if he expected to see Ramirez play the outfield again in 2015, Lovullo answered: “I do not.”

Questioned about the change, Lovullo said there were a number of factors that went into the decision.

“I think we’ve just walked through a couple of scenarios,” said Lovullo, “and I think that with how the young kids have been doing in the outfield, we want to give them the time there that they deserve. And I think the timing of Hanley’s injury is pushing him back a little bit. It’s just condensing that ability to go and play left field until he transitions to first base.

The reworking of the Red Sox has already begun under new club president Dave Dombrowski.

Ramirez, 31, is owed $22.75 million per year through 2018. He also carries a vesting option for 2019.

Source: Indians’ Plesac sent home after protocol misstep

Dennis Wierzbicki-USA TODAY Sports
3 Comments

Indians pitcher Zach Plesac was sent back to Cleveland on Sunday in a rental car after violating team rules and Major League Baseball’s coronavirus protocols, a club official told the Associated Press.

The official said the 25-year-old Plesac went out with friends in Chicago on Saturday night following his win against the White Sox. The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the situation, said the team got Plesac a car so he wouldn’t be around teammates in the event he contracted the virus.

It is not known if Plesac has been tested since breaking the team’s code of conduct. He will be isolated from the team and can not take part in team activities until he twice tests negative for COVID-19.

The Athletic first reported Plesac was sent home.

Indians team president Chris Antonetti is expected to address Plesac’s situation following the team’s game in Chicago on Sunday night.

Major League Baseball has been emphasizing the need for players to be more careful and follow its protocols in the wake of coronavirus outbreaks with the Miami Marlins and St. Louis Cardinals. The episode with Plesac, the nephew of former big league reliever Dan Plesac, is the most high-profile evidence of baseball’s increasing concern about its guidelines.

Last month, Plesac, who has become a reliable starter for the Indians, spoke of the importance of players abiding to the “code of conduct” that every team was required to submit to MLB in hopes of the 60-game regular season taking place.

“Definitely any time you can maintain social distancing is going to be what we have to focus on,” Plesac said July 3. “There are common sense situations, where you see things are packed, or going out to the bars and drinking – doing stuff like that isn’t stuff that’s really important to us right now and shouldn’t be important to us right now.

“We’re given this privilege to be able to come back and play and given this short window to even play. It’s a good time now just to really buckle down and focus on what’s important and work toward something greater at the end of the season and for these couple months, lock in and focus on what we have set for us at the end of the year.”

Plesac didn’t allow a run and limited the White Sox to five hits in six innings on Saturday to improve to 1-1.

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP-Sports