Jose Bautista is boycotting SportsNet because they won’t pay for Devon Travis’ suit

63 Comments

Players boycott media outlets fairly often. Sometimes it’s because of perceived slights or the perception of bias. Jose Bautista’s boycott of SportsNet, however, is a tad different:

Jose Bautista has refused to do one-on-one interviews with Sportsnet for the past three months in protest of the broadcaster’s refusal to pay the cost of a designer suit purchased by rookie Devon Travis as part of a TV segment aired on Sportsnet on May 19.

It was one of those “let’s go shopping with the baseball player” features. Shots of Travis trying on clothes, coming out of the fitting room looking dapper, etc. Except Travis ended up paying for the suit himself and Bautista thinks the network should’ve paid for the suit. He says he will not talk to SportsNet — the Blue Jays’ broadcaster — until they pay up.

At first blush it seems sort of petty — Travis makes half a million dollars a year — but I think Bautista has a point here, I think. SportsNet is a media company that pays billions for sports rights. Travis was giving them programming for their profit-making activities. From the story it doesn’t sound as if Travis was buying the suit anyway and SportsNet said “hey, can we film you?” It sounds like an idea the network had for a segment. If a billion-dollar cable network films a segment like that, don’t they pay for wardrobe? Don’t those makeover shows — which this was a derivation of — pay for the duds?

The linked article talks to a media ethicist who thinks it’d be wrong for SportsNet to buy the suit in that it may appear as if they were paying for an interview or something. That seems rather myopic here. It’s an entertainment segment. Produced by the network which is a rights partner and is owned by the Blue Jays’ owner. Given how rights-holder politics go, I’m guessing Travis didn’t feel the same level of freedom to tell SportsNet to go pound sand over this segment as he would some local affiliate from Manitoba. You do these things for the club and so you don’t piss off ownership.

Pay for the suit, SportsNet.

Aaron Judge out of Yankees starting lineup for finale after No. 62

Tim Heitman-USA TODAY Sports
0 Comments

ARLINGTON, Texas — Yankees slugger Aaron Judge wasn’t in the starting lineup for New York’s regular-season finale, a day after his 62nd home run that broke Roger Maris’ 61-year-old American League single-season record.

When Judge homered in the first inning Tuesday night, in the second game of a doubleheader against the Texas Rangers, it was his 55th consecutive game. He has played in 157 games overall for the AL East champions.

With the first-round bye in the playoffs, the Yankees won’t open postseason play until the AL Division Series starts next Tuesday.

Even though Judge had indicated that he hoped to play Wednesday, manager Aaron Boone said after Tuesday night’s game that they would have a conversation and see what made the most sense.

“Short conversation,” Boone said before Wednesday’s game, adding that he was “pretty set on probably giving him the day today.”

Asked if there was a scenario in which Judge would pinch hit, Boone responded, “I hope not.”

Judge went into the final day of the regular season batting .311, trailing American League batting average leader Minnesota’s Luis Arraez, who was hitting .315. Judge was a wide leader in the other Triple Crown categories, with his 62 homers and 131 RBIs.

Boone said that “probably the one temptation” to play Judge had been the long shot chance the slugger had to become the first AL Triple Crown winner since Detroit’s Miguel Cabrera in 2012.