Giancarlo Stanton is aiming to return next Friday

5 Comments

MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro has the news from Miami:

A timeline has been established as to when Giancarlo Stanton may be back in the Marlins’ lineup. The All-Star right fielder says he is hopeful to be back in about a week and a half, which means unofficially it could be the Sept. 4 series opener against the Mets at Marlins Park.

Stanton broke the hamate bone in his left hand on June 26 and underwent surgery two days later. He’s been taking swings against a pitching machine since early last week and recently added live batting practice to his daily workout routine. “I’m getting my timing and I’m almost to where I want to feel,” the 25-year-old slugger told MLB.com on Tuesday. “I’m feeling good. I’d say I’m still about a week and a half [away].”

Stanton still ranks fifth in the National League in home runs (27) despite being sidelined for two months.

Scott Boras to pay salaries of released minor league clients

Scott Boras
Michael Reaves/Getty Images
2 Comments

Across the league, scores of minor leaguers have been released in recent days. Already overworked and underpaid, these players are now left without any kind of reliable income during a pandemic, and during a time of civil unrest.

Jon Heyman reports that agent Scott Boras will pay the salaries of his minor league clients who were among those released. It’s a great and much-needed gesture. Boras described the releases as “completely unanticipated.”

Boras, of course, is perhaps the most successful sports agent of all time, so he and his company can afford to do this. That being said, it should be incumbent on the players’ teams — not their agents or their teammates — to take care of them in a time of crisis. Boras is, effectively, subsidizing the billionaire owners’ thriftiness.