UPDATE: Mike Puma of the New York Post reports that Duda has been placed on the 15-day disabled list.
10:08 a.m. ET: The Mets offense exploded for 14 runs on 16 hits last night against the Rockies, most of it coming from Yoenis Cespedes, but an important part of their lineup could be headed for the disabled list.
According to Anthony DiComo of MLB.com, Lucas Duda was forced to exit last night’s game in the seventh inning with renewed lower back pain. He missed six starts with the injury earlier this month, but managed to avoid a stint on the disabled list. Mets manager Terry Collins said after the game that they’ll make a decision on his status on Saturday.
The Mets were planning to send down Michael Conforto on Saturday to make room for reliever Dario Alvarez, but the rookie outfielder could stick around if Duda needs to go on the disabled list. Daniel Murphy and Michael Cuddyer figure to see time at first base in his absence.
Duda, 29, is batting .247 with 21 home runs and an .818 OPS over 113 games this season.
MLBPA player representative Max Scherzer sent out a short statement late Wednesday night regarding the ongoing negotiations between the owners and the union. On Tuesday, ownership proposed a “sliding scale” salary structure on top of the prorated pay cuts the players already agreed to back in March. The union rejected the proposal, with many worrying that it would drive a wedge in the union’s constituency.
Scherzer is one of eight players on the MLBPA executive subcommittee along with Andrew Miller, Daniel Murphy, Elvis Andrus, Cory Gearrin, Chris Iannetta, James Paxton, and Collin McHugh.
After discussing the latest developments with the rest of the players there’s no reason to engage with MLB in any further compensation reductions. We have previously negotiated a pay cut in the version of prorated salaries, and there’s no justification to accept a 2nd pay cut based upon the current information the union has received. I’m glad to hear other players voicing the same viewpoint and believe MLB’s economic strategy would completely change if all documentation were to become public information.
Indeed, aside from the Braves, every other teams’ books are closed, so there has been no way to fact-check any of the owners’ claims. Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts, for example, recently said that 70 percent of the Cubs’ revenues come from “gameday operations” (ticket sales, concessions, etc.). But it went unsubstantiated because the Cubs’ books are closed. The league has only acknowledged some of the union’s many requests for documentation. Without supporting evidence, Ricketts’ claim, like countless others from team executives, can only be taken as an attempt to manipulate public sentiment.
Early Thursday morning, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reported that the MLBPA plans to offer a counter-proposal to MLB in which the union would suggest a season of more than 100 games and fully guaranteed prorated salaries. It seems like the two sides are quite far apart, so it may take longer than expected for them to reach an agreement.