Mets (finally) place Michael Cuddyer on disabled list and (finally) call up prospect Michael Conforto

25 Comments

Michael Cuddyer has remained on the Mets’ active roster despite starting just two games in the past two weeks due to a knee injury. During that time (and even before that) lots of Mets fans were clamoring for the team to call up 22-year-old outfield prospect Michael Conforto for the his MLB debut.

Today the Mets finally shut down Cuddyer, placing him on the disabled list and promoting Conforto from Double-A to the majors.

For most players it makes little sense to play through an injury and in Cuddyer’s case he’s hit just .250 with a .683 OPS in 82 games this season. This offseason the Mets forfeited a first-round draft pick for the right to sign the 36-year-old Cuddyer to a two-year, $21 million deal, which is a move that received lots of criticism at the time and now looks like a huge mistake.

As for Conforto, he was the 10th overall pick in last year’s draft out of Oregon State and made quick work of the minors by hitting .308 in 133 games. He began this season at high Single-A and moved up to Double-A in late May, batting .297 with 12 homers, 24 doubles, and an .854 OPS overall. Baseball America ranked Conforto among MLB’s top 20 prospects in their midseason update, but with just 45 games above Single-A his readiness for the majors is unclear.

Report: Martinez, Nationals agree to contract extension

Getty Images
Leave a comment

WASHINGTON — Manager Dave Martinez and the Washington Nationals have agreed to work out a contract extension that will keep him in charge of the club beyond next season, according to a person with knowledge of the situation.

The person confirmed the news to The Associated Press on Friday on condition of anonymity because no official announcement had been made.

Martinez led the Nationals to the franchise’s first World Series championship in 2019, his second season as the team’s skipper.

When he initially was hired, Martinez signed a three-year deal with a club option for 2021 that had not yet been picked up by the Nationals.

After a title defense slowed by injuries and inconsistency during a 60-game season delayed and shortened by the coronavirus pandemic, Washington was 23-34 and last in the NL East before facing the New York Mets on Friday night.

It’s the second game of a season-ending four-game series at Nationals Park.

Martinez was sporting his World Series ring on his right hand when he spoke to reporters via a video chat before word emerged Friday afternoon of a change to his contract.

“The coaching staff and myself decided to wear it for the last week of the season, so we’ve been wearing it this whole week. It’s kind of cool,” Martinez said about his ring. “Come Sunday, it goes off and goes back in its little shiny box. But it’s kind of nice to look down and look at it.”

Asked earlier in the week whether he would like his up-in-the-air contract status resolved before the season ends, Martinez said his agent and Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo had been discussing the matter.

“I love it here. I don’t see myself going anywhere else,” Martinez said then. “I appreciate the family. I appreciate this organization. We’ve built a special relationship here, so I hope I get a chance to stay for many, many years.”

Then he paused for five seconds before adding: “The sooner, the better, though.”