Devin Mesoraco hasn’t been able to catch since April 12 due to a left hip impingement and will eventually require surgery, but he hasn’t given up on a return this season.
C. Trent Rosecrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer was told by Reds manager Bryan Price today that Mesoraco is now exploring the possibility of returning as a left fielder. He still needs surgery, but the team is confident he can it after the season and still be ready for the start of 2016. They don’t want to carry him strictly as a pinch-hitter, which is what they did for seven weeks prior to placing him on the disabled list late last month:
“He’s on board. He’s a huge part of it and I do believe that he’s seen a guy in New York as well that did a followup on his MRI results and test results,” Price said of Mesoraco. “So we’re trying to make sure all the bases are covered that if we’re going to do something like this, that we’re doing it with enough time to make sure he’s ready to go on Opening Day 2016 behind the plate.”
Mesoraco still has to get back to hitting before getting some work in the outfield. He’ll then need to get some minor league rehab games under his belt, so a return isn’t necessarily imminent. Still, it’s worth a shot to get his bat in the lineup, especially since Marlon Byrd is now sidelined with a fractured wrist.
Even Drellich of The Athletic reports that the Boston Red Sox are cutting the pay of team employees. Those cuts, which began to be communicated last night, apply to all employees making $50,000 or more. They are tiered cuts, with people making $50-99,000 seeing salary cut by 20%, those making $100k-$499,000 seeing $25% cuts and those making $500,000 or more getting 30% cuts.
Drellich reported that a Red Sox employee told him that “people are livid” over the fact that those making $100K are being treated the same way as those making $500K. And, yes, that does seem to be a pretty wide spread for similar pay cuts. One would think that a team with as many analytically-oriented people on staff could perhaps break things down a bit more granularly.
Notable in all of this that the same folks who own the Red Sox — Fenway Sports Group — own Liverpool FC of the English Premier League, and that just last month Liverpool’s pay cut/employee furlough policies proved so unpopular that they led to a backlash and a subsequent reversal by the club. That came after intense criticism from Liverpool fan groups and local politicians. Sox owner John Henry must be confident that no such backlash will happen in Boston.
As we noted yesterday, The Kansas City Royals, who are not as financially successful as the Boston Red Sox, have not furloughed employees or cut pay as a result of baseball’s shutdown in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Perhaps someone in Boston could call the Royals and ask them how they managed that.