Marlins players skipped annual team charity event this week

58 Comments

Things are really ugly with the Marlins right now, both on and off the field. The team held their annual Fish ‘N Chips casino-style charity event Thursday night and advertised that fans would get an opportunity to “rub elbows” with some of their favorite players. However, none of the players showed up.

According to Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald, attending the event was not mandatory. However, a handful of players committed to going before ultimately bailing. Fans paid between $100 and $175 to come to the event.

Marlins president David Samson said he was disappointed with how things unfolded and planned to address the situation with the players. That’s not going to be awkward at all, especially after they put a manager with no experience in the dugout earlier this week. Steve Cishek said the players weren’t trying to send a message about the manager situation, but that they were just tired and frustrated:

“I can see why people are making a big deal about it — people pay money, want to be around the players,” said relief pitcher Steve Cishek, who is also the club’s player representative. “But you’ve got to realize we were here all day. Everyone is exhausted. You look at Dee Gordon, he’s stumbling around the locker room after the game, played his heart out. Everyone battled yesterday. It was just not the right timing. It’s tough to explain. It’s just the way things are going for us right now. All of our guys have taken it to heart. Everyone is an adult here. They just didn’t show up. Their decision.”

New manager Dan Jennings and most of his coaching staff were present for the event, as well as team president Mike Hill.

The Marlins have lost eight straight games and are 0-5 since Jennings moved from the front office into the dugout. After going into the spring with big expectations, the team sits at 16-27 and in last place in the National League East.

Video: Cubs score run on Pirates’ appeal throw

Jim McIsaac/Getty Images
Leave a comment

2019 has been one long nightmare for the Pirates. They’re in last place in the NL Central, have had multiple clubhouse fights, and can’t stop getting into bench-clearing incidents. The embarrassment continued on Sunday as the club lost 16-6 to the Cubs, suffering a three-game series sweep in Chicago.

One of those 16 runs the Pirates allowed was particularly noteworthy. In the bottom of the third inning, with the game tied at 5-5, the Cubs had runners on first and second with two outs. Tony Kemp hit a triple to right field, allowing both Ben Zobrist and Jason Heyward to score to make it 7-5. The Pirates thought one of the Cubs’ base runners didn’t touch third base on their way home. Reliever Michael Feliz attempted to make an appeal throw to third base, but it was way too high for Erik González to catch, so Kemp scored easily on the error.

The Pirates lost Friday’s game to the Cubs 17-8 and Saturday’s game 14-1. They were outscored 47-15 in the three-game series. According to Baseball Reference, since 1908, the Pirates never allowed 14+ runs in three consecutive games and only did it two games in a row twice before this series, in 1949 and in 1950. The Cubs scored 14+ in three consecutive games just one other time, in 1930.