Josh Hamilton goes 4-for-5 in latest rehab game, speaks about relationship with Arte Moreno

69 Comments

Josh Hamilton’s rehab tour continued Saturday evening at Double-A Frisco, where the 33-year-old slugger smacked four singles in five at-bats and drove in one run as the RoughRiders fell 15-14 in a barn-burner against the Astros’ Double-A team.

Hamilton played center field in this one — for a full nine innings — and that could be where he gets regular playing time when he returns to the majors given that Rangers center fielder Leonys Martin has struggled mightily with injuries and ineffectiveness.

Before the game Saturday at Frisco’s Dr. Pepper Ballpark, Hamilton once again addressed his messy departure from the Angels. And he revealed something pretty interesting. Tom Cowlishaw of the Dallas Morning News has the story …

Hamilton spelled out in no uncertain terms that he tried on a number of occasions over the last two years to speak to [Angels owner Arte Moreno] about his hitting problems and other issues but was repeatedly told by general manager Jerry DiPoto that he would deliver the message.

“I wanted to talk to [Moreno] and tell him, ‘I’m working my butt off and want to be the guy that played against you all these years,’ but I was turned down by the GM and the team president. They said they would let him know,” Hamilton said.

“Same thing after this incident [his offseason relapse] and the [shoulder] surgery. I did what I needed to do to be a responsible man and employee and reach out to him. So my hands are clean.”

It’s a little difficult to entirely buy the “my hands are clean” part, but shame on Moreno if he truly refused to have a conversation with Hamilton. How does that help the lack of mutual trust? It only grows it.

Hamilton will play another game at Double-A Frisco on Sunday and then head to Triple-A Round Rock for games Tuesday and Wednesday. He could re-debut for the Rangers on Friday at Yankee Stadium.

Apparent roster snafu changes Blue Jays pitching plans

AP Photo
Leave a comment

ATLANTA — An apparent roster snafu forced the Toronto Blue Jays to change their pitching plans for Thursday night’s game at the Atlanta Braves.

After Nate Pearson gave up three runs in five innings, manager Charlie Montoyo brought in right-hander Jacob Waguespack to open the sixth.

As Waguespack walked to the mound, he was greeted by home plate umpire Alan Porter, who apparently delivered some bad news: The right-hander wasn’t on the 28-man active roster for the game.

The Blue Jays optioned Waguespack and infielder Santiago Espinal to the team’s alternate training site on Thursday to reach the 28-man roster limit.

Montoyo told reporters before the game Waguespack had been recalled when right-hander Trent Thornton was placed on the 10-day injured list with right elbow inflammation. That move apparently was not processed, leaving Waguespack off the active roster.

Waguespack walked to the dugout and Montoyo brought in Rafael Dolis as the official replacement for Pearson.