Michael Saunders put back on disabled list with discomfort in his surgically-repaired left knee

10 Comments

From the official Twitter account of the Toronto Blue Jays …

Saunders tore the meniscus in his left knee in late February when he stepped on a sprinkler head while shagging fly balls at the Blue Jays’ spring training complex in Dunedin, Florida. Initial reports suggested he would be out until the All-Star break, but the 28-year-old outfielder made it back before the end of April. And maybe that’s the problem — that he rushed his rehab. Saunders needed fluid drained from the surgically-repaired knee early last week and then got a cortisone injection a few days later. Now the Jays have decided that he’s better off getting some extended rest. It’s not clear when he might be ready to return.

Saunders looked like a sneaky-good acquisition for Toronto this offseason. He had a strong .791 OPS (128 OPS+) in 2014 for the Mariners and flirted with a 20-homer, 20-steal season with Seattle in 2012. Chris Colabello is starting in left field for the Blue Jays in Sunday afternoon’s series finale against the Red Sox.

Josh Reddick says he and his Astros teammates have received death threats

Getty Images
1 Comment

Yesterday Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle spoke to Athletics pitcher Mike Fiers. In the course of the interview, Fiers revealed that he has received death threats for blowing the whistle on the Astros’ cheating. Rob Manfred said last week, before the interview came out, that Major League Baseball would do everything in its power to protect Fiers and his family both when the A’s play in Houston and when they play anyplace else.

Manfred’s pledge of protection is going to need to be expanded, because today the guys on whom Fiers blew the whistle are saying they’ve received death threats as well.

At least Josh Reddick is saying it:

It’s obviously disgraceful for anyone to have to endure this sort of crap. People need to get a grip.