Brett Cecil was removed from the Blue Jays’ ninth-inning role just a few days into the 2015 regular season after blowing a save on April 8 at Yankee Stadium, but Toronto management has now turned back to the 28-year-old left-hander after watching 20-year-old righties Roberto Osuna and Miguel Castro fail to get the job done Monday night at Fenway Park.
Castro, the Blue Jays’ primary closer for the last two weeks, has allowed earned runs in four of his last five appearances. He’ll be kept away from high-leverage situations for a little while. Osuna has been very effective overall, boasting a 1.59 ERA and 13/4 K/BB ratio in 11 1/3 innings.
The youngest pitcher in franchise history, Osuna might get the next crack at saves if Cecil can’t cut it.
It’s also possible Aaron Sanchez could be moved back to the bullpen. He has a 5.03 ERA in four starts.
Phillies outfielder Andrew McCutchen would have opened the regular season on the injured list if it had started on time. Now, with the start of the season pushed back at least a few months due to coronavirus (COVID-19), the veteran five-time All-Star says he will be “ready to go” whenever the season begins, he told NBC Sports Philadelphia.
McCutchen, 33, tore his ACL in early June, ending his 2019 campaign. To that point, he had been quite productive for the Phillies, batting .256/.378/.457 with 10 home runs and 29 RBI over 262 plate appearances. If and when the 2020 season does begin, he will likely reprise his role as the leadoff hitter, this time under new manager Joe Girardi.
2020 marks the second year of McCutchen’s three-year, $50 million contract initially signed with the Phillies in December 2018. The Phillies also hold a $15 million club option for the 2022 season with a $3 million buyout.