Ricky Nolasco is undergoing an MRI exam on his elbow


Last season Ricky Nolasco pitched horribly for two months before finally admitting to the Twins that he was playing through an injury, so when he had a rough 2015 debut Wednesday afternoon I joked on Twitter that they should save time and simply ask him if he’s hurt again.

Turns out it wasn’t really a joke. Nolasco revealed that he felt pain in his elbow three batters before leaving the loss to Detroit and is now headed back to Minnesota to undergo an MRI exam.

There was some optimism surrounding Nolasco because he pitched well down the stretch last season after letting his injured arm heal and looked healthy during spring training, but now that’s all out the window. This is the second season of a four-year, $49 million contract that the Twins regretted almost immediately.

Ex-Angels employee charged in overdose death of Tyler Skaggs

AP Photo

FORT WORTH, Texas — A former Angels employee has been charged with conspiracy to distribute fentanyl in connection with last year’s overdose death of Angels pitcher Tyler Skaggs, prosecutors in Texas announced Friday.

Eric Prescott Kay was arrested in Fort Worth, Texas, and made his first appearance Friday in federal court, according to Erin Nealy Cox, the U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Texas. Kay was communications director for the Angels.

Skaggs was found dead in his hotel room in the Dallas area July 1, 2019, before the start of what was supposed to be a four-game series against the Texas Rangers. The first game was postponed before the teams played the final three games.

Skaggs died after choking on his vomit with a toxic mix of alcohol and the powerful painkillers fentanyl and oxycodone in his system, a coroner’s report said. Prosecutors accused Kay of providing the fentanyl to Skaggs and others, who were not named.

“Tyler Skaggs’s overdose – coming, as it did, in the midst of an ascendant baseball career – should be a wake-up call: No one is immune from this deadly drug, whether sold as a powder or hidden inside an innocuous-looking tablet,” Nealy Cox said.

If convicted, Kay faces up to 20 years in prison. Federal court records do not list an attorney representing him, and an attorney who previously spoke on his behalf did not immediately return a message seeking comment.