Outfielder Carlos Quentin was one of several players the Braves acquired in Friday evening’s surprise trade with the Padres involving Craig Kimbrel and Melvin Upton, Jr. Quentin, however, isn’t likely to hang around for long. Jon Heyman of CBS Sports says the Braves are likely to designate the oft-injured veteran for assignment.
Quentin, 32, will earn $8 million for the 2015 season before becoming eligible for free agency. Heyman notes that Quentin was only included in the trade to balance out the money involved.
Quentin has only played in 132 games over the last two seasons due to recurring problems with both knees. He had surgery in September 2013 to remove loose bodies in his right knee, but it was his left knee which ended his season in late July last year. When he’s healthy, he hits well — he has a career .831 OPS — but he’s played in 100-plus games only three times in his nine-year career.
Even Drellich of The Athletic reports that the Boston Red Sox are cutting the pay of team employees. Those cuts, which began to be communicated last night, apply to all employees making $50,000 or more. They are tiered cuts, with people making $50-99,000 seeing salary cut by 20%, those making $100k-$499,000 seeing $25% cuts and those making $500,000 or more getting 30% cuts.
Drellich reported that a Red Sox employee told him that “people are livid” over the fact that those making $100K are being treated the same way as those making $500K. And, yes, that does seem to be a pretty wide spread for similar pay cuts. One would think that a team with as many analytically-oriented people on staff could perhaps break things down a bit more granularly.
Notable in all of this that the same folks who own the Red Sox — Fenway Sports Group — own Liverpool FC of the English Premier League, and that just last month Liverpool’s pay cut/employee furlough policies proved so unpopular that they led to a backlash and a subsequent reversal by the club. That came after intense criticism from Liverpool fan groups and local politicians. Sox owner John Henry must be confident that no such backlash will happen in Boston.
As we noted yesterday, The Kansas City Royals, who are not as financially successful as the Boston Red Sox, have not furloughed employees or cut pay as a result of baseball’s shutdown in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Perhaps someone in Boston could call the Royals and ask them how they managed that.