Veteran reliever John Axford has left Rockies camp after his 2-year-old son was bit by a rattlesnake while staying at the family’s rental home in Arizona.
Nick Groke of the Denver Post reports that Axford’s son, Jameson Axford, was bit twice on the right foot and taken to a Phoenix hospital in serious condition. He was given anti-venom medication and is now in stable condition, but it’s possible he may need toes amputated.
Axford described the experience as “sheer panic … things got very bad, very quickly” and is unsure when he’ll return to the team on a full-time basis. He was added to the 40-man roster earlier this month and guaranteed a $2.6 million salary as part of the bullpen.