Erik Bedard is fine if the Dodgers send him to Triple-A because “the game’s still fun”

15 Comments

Erik Bedard is a 36-year-old veteran of 11 seasons and 1,300 innings in the big leagues who hasn’t pitched in the minors regularly since 2003, so how does he feel knowing that odds are the Dodgers will send him to Triple-A at the end of spring training?

Here’s what he told Mark Saxon of ESPN Los Angeles:

I know where I stand. It feels fine. The game’s still fun and I like playing baseball is, basically, what it comes down to.

Bedard signed a minor-league deal with the Dodgers in mid-January to provide rotation depth, but since then they’ve added even more veteran pitchers trying to resurrect their careers and/or return from injuries.

Bedard hasn’t posted a sub-4.50 ERA since 2011 and is coming back from shoulder surgery, telling Saxon: “I used to throw hard. Now, not so hard.”

Next month we’ll probably find out how his age-36 raw stuff fares against Pacific Coast League hitters.

Max Scherzer: ‘There’s no reason to engage with MLB in any further compensation reductions’

Max Scherzer
Mark Brown/Getty Images
3 Comments

MLBPA player representative Max Scherzer sent out a short statement late Wednesday night regarding the ongoing negotiations between the owners and the union. On Tuesday, ownership proposed a “sliding scale” salary structure on top of the prorated pay cuts the players already agreed to back in March. The union rejected the proposal, with many worrying that it would drive a wedge in the union’s constituency.

Scherzer is one of eight players on the MLBPA executive subcommittee along with Andrew Miller, Daniel Murphy, Elvis Andrus, Cory Gearrin, Chris Iannetta, James Paxton, and Collin McHugh.

Scherzer’s statement:

After discussing the latest developments with the rest of the players there’s no reason to engage with MLB in any further compensation reductions. We have previously negotiated a pay cut in the version of prorated salaries, and there’s no justification to accept a 2nd pay cut based upon the current information the union has received. I’m glad to hear other players voicing the same viewpoint and believe MLB’s economic strategy would completely change if all documentation were to become public information.

Indeed, aside from the Braves, every other teams’ books are closed, so there has been no way to fact-check any of the owners’ claims. Cubs chairman Tom Ricketts, for example, recently said that 70 percent of the Cubs’ revenues come from “gameday operations” (ticket sales, concessions, etc.). But it went unsubstantiated because the Cubs’ books are closed. The league has only acknowledged some of the union’s many requests for documentation. Without supporting evidence, Ricketts’ claim, like countless others from team executives, can only be taken as an attempt to manipulate public sentiment.

Early Thursday morning, ESPN’s Jeff Passan reported that the MLBPA plans to offer a counter-proposal to MLB in which the union would suggest a season of more than 100 games and fully guaranteed prorated salaries. It seems like the two sides are quite far apart, so it may take longer than expected for them to reach an agreement.