Commissioner Emeritus of Major League Baseball Bud Selig attended the 57th annual St. Louis BBWAA Dinner on Sunday night. Addressing a rather crowded audience, he spoke highly of St. Louis:
No word on whether Cardinals fans are the best fans in baseball, however.
During the event, many awards were handed out:
- Hall of Famer and former manager Red Schoendienst was honored with the Schoendienst Medal, presented by Rick Hummel
- Selig was the first recipient of the Schoendienst Medal
- Ron Jacober and Dick Kaegel accepted the Hyland/Hummel award for journalistic contributions to baseball
- Magneuris Sierra won the 2014 Cardinals Minor League Player of the Year Award
- Marco Gonzales won the 2014 Cardinals Minor League Pitcher of the Year Award
- 2014 National League stolen base leader Dee Gordon was presented with the Lou Brock Award
- Kolten Wong won the Cardinals Rookie of the Year Award
- Adam Wainwright accepted the J.G. Taylor Spink “Man of the Year” Award, dedicating it to Oscar Taveras and Brian Burwell
- Matt Adams and Matt Carpenter each received the Stockton/Broeg Award for Outstanding Achievement in Baseball
I think the informal “best fans” award is the one people are going to be talking about, however.