Yankees prospect Ty Hensley was allegedly attacked following an argument over signing bonuses

34 Comments

We learned earlier today that Yankees prospect right-hander Ty Hensley was brutally attacked over the holidays and suffered “multiple facial fractures, including to his jaw, as well as multiple other head injuries.” Charges have been filed against 24-year-old Anthony Morales, who played football at Weber State and tried out for the Carolina Panthers last year. We now have more details about the alleged attack and they are almost hard to believe.

According to Anthony McCarron and Michael O’Keeffe of the New York Daily News, Hensley’s attorney, Jacob Diesselhorst said the alleged attack occurred following an argument over signing bonuses. Seriously. To be exact, Hensley refused to tell Morales how much he received as a signing bonus from the Yankees. This allegedly set Morales off:

Hensley had been hanging out a bar when one buddy asked him to join him at a wee-hours gathering at a friend’s place, according to court documents. Diesselhorst said the pitcher did not know his alleged assailant until they met a mutual acquaintance’s home in the Village, an Okahoma City suburb.

Witnesses told police they heard Hensley and Morales arguing about the amount of money athletes receive for signing with professional teams, the court papers said.

Diesslehorst said the attack occured after Hensley refused to tell Morales how much he received as a signing bonus after the Yankees selected him with the 30th pick of the 2012 draft.

Morales allegedly struck Hensley in the face, knocking him to the ground. The witnesses told police they saw Morales kick Hensley in the face before he fled from the house.

If only Morales knew that the information he was looking for was easily available on the internet and he didn’t have to beat someone up in order to acquire it.

Hensley, 21, was a first-round pick of the Yankees in 2012 and had his bonus adjusted from $1.6 million to $1.2 million due to abnormalities in his right shoulder. He missed all of 2013 and part of 2014 following surgery on both of his hips, so he wasn’t having much luck on the health front even before this incident. Diesselhorst said he believes Hensley will make a full recovery, but it’s unclear when he’ll be able to resume baseball activities.

Video: White Sox turn triple play against Astros

Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images
2 Comments

White Sox starter Iván Nova was able to escape a jam in the third inning of Wednesday night’s game against the Astros with the help of a triple play. Nova had allowed a leadoff double to Tony Kemp, then hit Robinson Chirinos with a pitch to put runners on first and second base with no outs. Facing Jake Marisnick in a 1-1 count, Nova threw a 94 MPH fastball that Marisnick sharply grounded to Yoán Moncada right at the third base bag. Moncada quickly fired the ball to Yolmer Sánchez at second base, then Sánchez whipped the ball to José Abreu at first base just ahead of a lunging Marisnick to complete the triple-killing.

According to Baseball Almanac, it’s the 718th known triple play dating back to 1876. The last time the White Sox turned a triple play was 2016. They turned three triple plays that season, amusingly. The Astros have been victimized by two of the last three triple plays, having also hit into one on April 19 last year against the Mariners.