Reds starter Johnny Cueto finished second in the 2014 National League Cy Young Award balloting (behind winner Clayton Kershaw) after posting an outstanding 2.25 ERA, 0.96 WHIP, and 242/65 K/BB ratio across 243 2/3 innings. Cincinnati made the no-brainer move in October to exercise his $10 million club option for the 2015 season, but he’s not locked in beyond that and there’s nothing happening right now that’s going to change that. From Jon Morosi of FOX Sports …
No recent progress on an extension for Johnny Cueto with #Reds, source says.
— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) January 8, 2015
Cueto’s agent Bryce Dixon said last month that his client wouldn’t negotiate an extension with the Reds beyond Opening Day 2015. The right-hander is only 28 years old and has been one of the best starting pitchers in baseball for several seasons, so a long-term deal may simply be out of Cincinnati’s budgetary means.