UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic

62 Comments

UPDATE: Dominican police rep Jacobo Mateo Moquete announced via Twitter that Castro is free after being questioned about the shooting.

3:24 p.m. ET: Castro’s agent, Paul Kinzer, told Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune that his client “wasn’t involved” in the shooting and went voluntarily to the police to be questioned:

“Starlin was not arrested or detained or anything,” Kinzer said. “He went to the police station to make sure they knew he was not involved. They told him they had video so they knew he was not involved.”

Kinzer did not know if the brother or Castro’s bodyguards were arrested.

2:07 p.m. ET: According to Enrique Rojas of ESPN Deportes, Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro was detained for questioning by authorities in the Dominican Republic on Saturday in connection with a nightclub shooting that injured six people this morning.

The initial report from Rojas said that Castro was arrested, but it appears that he is only being questioned at the moment.

Details are scarce right now and the linked story is in Spanish, but a police spokesperson said that some people close to Castro participated in the shooting, including his brother and bodyguards. One of the people who was shot is currently listed in serious condition.

Castro was linked to another shooting in the Dominican Republic earlier this month, but he was eventually cleared of any wrongdoing.

We’ll pass along more information when it is made available.