Before deciding on the Cubs, David Ross heard on the radio that he signed with the Padres

2 Comments

David Ross recently took Rob Bradford of WEEI.com behind the scenes of how he landed a two-year, $5 million contract with the Cubs. If you recall, there was an incorrect report out there that Ross had decided to sign with the Padres. I recommend reading the whole story, but here’s how it felt to be in his shoes on that day:

“It was a really weird day,” he said. “I went to sleep and got up the next morning and my agent told me the Padres had made another offer. I told him I was going to workout and we would talk when I got out. I literally got out of the gym, turned on my radio and they said David Ross had committed to the Padres. I couldn’€™t believe it. So I got my agent on the phone right away to try and figure that out. For about two hours of my day, it was crazy.

“I had turned [the Padres] down twice, saying no right away. I hadn’€™t fully committed to the Cubs, but I had. I wanted to be a man of my word. Me and Theo [Epstein] go back to 20€™08 and I respect him. Once Boston was off the table, I had already put my heart with Chicago.”

Baseball rumors are a strange phenomenon even for an outsider. Imagine living in the middle of them?

Ross turns 38 in March and was limited to only 55 games this past season due to injury while batting just .184 with seven home runs and a .629 OPS, so he admitted to being “really shocked” at the level of interest in him this winter. After deciding on Chicago, he’ll catch a couple of days per week backing up Miguel Montero and function as Jon Lester’s personal catcher once again.

Red Sox place Chris Sale on 10-day injured list

Chris Sale
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Red Sox left-hander Chris Sale has been placed on the 10-day injured list with left elbow inflammation, the club revealed Saturday. The assignment is retroactive to August 14. In a corresponding roster move, right-handed reliever Ryan Brasier was recalled from Triple-A Pawtucket.

It’s an alarming development for the 30-year-old ace, who has been remarkably injury-free after dealing with a lingering case of shoulder inflammation last summer. While he hasn’t replicated the career-high results he delivered over the last two seasons, he still leads Red Sox pitchers with 3.6 fWAR and will head to the IL with a 6-11 record in 25 starts, a 4.40 ERA, 2.3 BB/9, and league-best 13.3 SO/9 through 147 1/3 innings. A timetable has not been given for his return, nor has the severity of his injury been disclosed. Per Red Sox president Dave Dombrowski, Sale has been experiencing pain in his elbow since Wednesday and will undergo further evaluation in the days to come.

Brasier, 31, was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket in mid-July after pitching to mixed results in the majors. He currently holds a 4.46 ERA, 2.7 BB/9, and 8.0 SO/9 with the Red Sox, though his results in Triple-A — one run, one walk, and 13 strikeouts over 9 1/3 innings — suggest that he might be capable of even sharper results when he rejoins the big league club.