Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade

97 Comments

A massive three-team, 11-player trade has officially been agreed upon between the Rays, Padres, and Nationals. Jim Bowden of SiriusXM and ESPN.com was first to post the entire breakdown

RAYS GET …

Steven Souza, outfielder, from Nationals
Travis Ott, pitcher, from Nationals
Rene Rivera, catcher, from Padres
Burch Smith, pitcher, from Padres
Jake Bauers, first baseman, from Padres

PADRES GET …

Wil Myers, outfielder, from Rays
Ryan Hanigan, catcher, from Rays
Jose Castillo, pitcher, from Rays
Gerardo Reyes, pitcher, from Rays

NATIONALS GET …

Joe Ross, pitcher, from Padres
Trea Turner, shortstop, from Padres

**********************

The Padres got the biggest name in the deal in Myers, who struggled this past season for Tampa Bay but won American League Rookie of the Year honors in 2013. A wrist injury has somewhat derailed his career, but the 24-year-old right fielder should be fully recovered by now and he was thought of as one of the top young position players in baseball just a couple years ago. To get him, San Diego had to unload a bunch of young pitching and Turner, the 13th overall pick in the 2014 June MLB Amateur Draft. With the caveat that it’s impossible to analyze any trade the moment after it happens, this sure seems like a smart, crafty swap for the Nationals. They gave up an expendable part in Souza and a 19-year-old pitcher in Ott to get two very good prospects. Turner should be a long-term replacement for Ian Desmond, who is entering his walk year.

John Gibbons will close out the year as Blue Jays skipper

John Gibbons
Getty Images
Leave a comment

Blue Jays manager John Gibbons is slated to remain with the club through the end of the 2018 season, general manager Ross Atkins told reporters on Friday. The news follows a report from Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, who cast some doubt on the veteran skipper’s future with the team several weeks ago when he said the Jays “seem destined to move on from John Gibbons.”

While it appears Gibbons’ job is safe for the next six weeks, that’s not saying much — especially as the club currently sits 30.5 games back of the division lead and will prepare to continue restructuring a sub-.500 roster come fall. As recently as last week, he hinted that he wasn’t feeling particularly eager to oversee a full rebuild. Per Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun:

Truthfully, a full breakdown, you know I have to admit I don’t know if I’m interested in that,” Gibbons said prior to Friday’s 7-0 blowout loss to the Tampa Rays. “But we’ll see. I’m still here. I’ve enjoyed every minute of it.

Over 11 cumulative seasons from 2004-2008 and 2013-2018, the 56-year-old manager has guided the team to a winning record just five times, most recently when they earned back-to-back playoff appearances in 2015 and 2016. He still has another year remaining on his contract, which was recently lengthened to include the 2018 and 2019 seasons and includes an option for 2020 as well.

Atkins also revealed that the club is prepared to reevaluate Gibbons’ role during the offseason, though it’s not yet clear whether they intend to keep him on for the next two years as originally planned, reassign him to another role within the organization, or terminate his agreement with the team altogether.